Two anchor topics

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
My boat came equipped with a 22 lb Lewmar Delta anchor. I plan to anchor out more and I am concerned this anchor is a bit undersized. I'm considering a 33 lb Rocna Vulcan anchor. I'll mostly be in the Chesapeake Bay. Any thoughts?

Previously, when the windlass began to pay out chain the anchor would move and slid off the bow roller. A couple of months back, what began to happen is the anchor would stay on the roller and the chain coming out of the windlass would fall into the locker. That forces me to go forward and push the anchor off the roller, then use the forward windlass controller to get the anchor going down. I had been typing down the chain after returning to the slip, but I always remove that and check for free movement of the anchor before setting out if I plan to anchor. What might have changed to cause the anchor to hang up?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On our 37 we upgraded from the dealer standard 22 pound delta to a 35 pound delta. A new gen anchor might be better but the Delta hasn’t given me any reason to have concern (though admittedly we haven’t tested it too much).

Is it possible your anchor roller has developed a small flat spot that keeps the anchor from starting to roll? Ours has never self-started - I always need to give it a small kick to get it going, but we don’t have a remote windlass control so I’m standing there anyway.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Our 34 ft boat came with a plow type anchor. I don't remember the size but I do remember that I could have plowed furrows in the Chesapeake all day long with the thing. I switched it out for a 35 lb Manson Supreme, which sets and stays really well in the mud. I have no trouble sleeping with that setup!

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Great information! Thanks to all.