Twisting issue

Sep 22, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol RI
So I've been getting this twist coming out of the blocks on the traveler. I have sent the images to Garhauer, but haven't gotten a response as of yet. I think I read in a post on here about the bottom blocks needing a spring to keep them from flopping when slack. Does anyone know if that would fix this? I noticed that the block on my self tacking jib track has a rubber spring on it, but it is a different brand. Not sure if that would fix this or not. Planning on changing out the rope to maybe one size smaller as well.

IMG_0887.jpg IMG_0890.jpg IMG_0889.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
This is due to twist in the line. Pull the line off and get the twist out. One way to do this is to drag the line through the water behind boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Yes, thank you. I realize this, but how do I stop it from happening again?
Isn't there a set-screw to keep the sheave from rotating around the mounting stud? Add some sauce, and you have a nice plate of spaghetti.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Are you flaking or coiling the extra line in the cockpit. If you are coiling then that is probably how the twist is getting into the line.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like new line.. the twist is in there from the factory.. under load, it will manifest itself.. when you take it out, it may not do it again as the line gets load set.. or if it does, it will be less and the next time you take the twist out, it won't return. Easiest way is to release the tie point on the block and pull it out then re-reeve the line ..

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Make sure when coiling the line you start at the block, If you start at the free end and work towards the block you will only introduce new twist to the line. By starting at the block to coil the line you don't add any new twist and can shake it out when you uncoil.

Sep 22, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol RI
There is quite a bit of line between the block and where I start coiling it. Not sure how the twist would be getting all the way to the block. Seems I read that the line rubbing against the sides of the blocks when they are loose adds twist to the line.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lock the blocks so they don't swivel.
Correct.
Seems I read that the line rubbing against the sides of the blocks when they are loose adds twist to the line.
Urban myth.

That twist on travelers has been around for eons from blocks that are allowed to swivel. Happens all the time.

Reason what you recall is a myth: I've had locked traveler blocks for twenty years, no twist.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Lock the blocks as the others have said. Then get the twist out of the line and keep it out by coiling properly.
Here's a great video on getting the twist outand how to properly coil the line.

Sep 22, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol RI
Thanks Ward. I've watched that video before. Is anyone aware of how audio techs coil mic and speaker wires? They do a reverse loop every other other coil. This keeps the wire from twisting and allows it to lay out flat on the stage. I've been doing this for years and it works. I haven't had a chance to try it with the lines, but it might work for when you want a smaller coil then the figure eight gives you.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Lock the blocks so they don't swivel.
This. If the blocks don't swivel, they can't twist. Obvious.

And then stop with the neat coils. Only figure 8 coils, or better yet, just flake it. Coiling mainsheet tails is OCD.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
call garauer and ask for mark or guido, they always respond. superior people