Twin wheel helms

Jan 13, 2014
Dufour 425 Gosport
Hi All Sailors

I have just purchased a second-hand Dufour 425 with twin wheels at the helm (the first boat I have had with this arrangement) and there seems to be a fair bit of slack when turning one wheel and the other responding.

Is this normal or should I get it looked at?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mike

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
what type of mechanism is it? cable, hydrolic or push rod? the cable and push rod types can have the slop tuned out of them pretty easy (provided you can get access to the parts), hydrolic, not so much.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hi All Sailors

I have just purchased a second-hand Dufour 425 with twin wheels at the helm (the first boat I have had with this arrangement) and there seems to be a fair bit of slack when turning one wheel and the other responding.

Is this normal or should I get it looked at?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mike
VERY nice boat.

Get it looked at. They should almost mirror each other's movements.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
what type of mechanism is it? cable, hydrolic or push rod? the cable and push rod types can have the slop tuned out of them pretty easy (provided you can get access to the parts), hydrolic, not so much.
Its a Lewmar pushrod. The vertical loop from the wheel to the rod can either be chain or a Dux textile loop depending on the model.

Jan 13, 2014
Dufour 425 Gosport
Looking from underneath the wheels are joined by steel cable but the mechanism going up to the wheel is enclosed so only can assume its cable of chain. The cable connecting the two wheels is very taught so I assume the slack is in the covered part to the head of the wheel. Guess I need to remove one of these cover and have a look however there are a lot of screws and awkward to get to.

Thought is this was common I could ignore but clearly needs further investigation.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can you get any support or input from Dufour?