Twin rudder problem

Aug 15, 2017
Beneteau 311 Fort Walton Beach
Hey anyone, I have a 311 with twin rudders. I am relatively certain that the starboard spade is out of kilter. ie; I cannot turn to starboard - when I do there is quite the circular motion of water coming off the stern.

I took a look below the cable hatch today. It looks ship shape. Is the adjustment below the water line?

Any suggestions based upon practical experience appreciated.

I hope to fix the issue before the next race - 4th of March.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Weird. On every dual rudder boat I've even owned or been on, one rudder is directly controlled by the wheel/tiller, and the other is slaved off the first with a tie-rod. If one is messed up or jammed normally the other one is too. It is possible that your tie rod is loose, so you would have authority over one but not the other. I'd start there. There is no below waterline adjustments.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
OK, I am wading in here with some trepidation. A friend who races twin-rudder boats tells me the toe alignment for the rudders is critical. I think he said they are aligned with the front of the keel. However, a call to the manufacturer is certainly in order on that. The same guy said alignment was checked before all the races but we are talking global big event boys here.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Didn't the Beneteau 311 use a Whitlock wheel?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Could the rudder be bent? Damage from lift or hit something? Tangled crab pot line? Shaft twisted in the bearings? Damage from dry storage?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
OK, I am wading in here with some trepidation. A friend who races twin-rudder boats tells me the toe alignment for the rudders is critical. I think he said they are aligned with the front of the keel. However, a call to the manufacturer is certainly in order on that. The same guy said alignment was checked before all the races but we are talking global big event boys here.
They are pretty much bore-sighted down the centerline. They are canted OUTWARDS however, so when at optimal heeling angle the leeward rudder is vertical in the water. This aids steering greatly because the rudder is just turning, and not trying to lift or 'dive' the boat. This is the big reason why they are more stable, and why single rudder boats spin-out when heeled hard over.

first_30_testsail-9.jpg

They do however need to be in alignment. The only way permanently mounted rudders can come out of alignment is of the tiebar slips.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
They are pretty much bore-sighted down the centerline. They are canted OUTWARDS however, so when at optimal heeling angle the leeward rudder is vertical in the water. This aids steering greatly because the rudder is just turning, and not trying to lift or 'dive' the boat. This is the big reason why they are more stable, and why single rudder boats spin-out when heeled hard over.

View attachment 146741

They do however need to be in alignment. The only way permanently mounted rudders can come out of alignment is of the tiebar slips.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I assume the tie bar is adjustable for toe in?

Nov 8, 2010
I assume the tie bar is adjustable for toe in?
Yes, in the sense that it locks the position of one rudder relative to the other. But on boats with permanently attached rudders this does not need regular adjustment.

Apr 11, 2021
Beneteau 311 North Sound Grand Cayman
Hello , Question to this group please, twin rudder 311 tie bar (tie rod) ends are plastic, one of mine broke off and we are replacing with steel, is there any"feature of function" that Beneteau would have made these in plastic? Like for breakaway? I am being told NO, solid steel would be better design, but asking the forum to chime in please:) !! Thank you much

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Hello , Question to this group please, twin rudder 311 tie bar (tie rod) ends are plastic, one of mine broke off and we are replacing with steel, is there any"feature of function" that Beneteau would have made these in plastic? Like for breakaway? I am being told NO, solid steel would be better design, but asking the forum to chime in please:) !! Thank you much
In another thread, someone said the plastic material let the tie serve as a mechanical fuse, so that would break rather than a more expensive part.