Tv Conversion

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
Hello all,

Back once again for additioal advice. We have a 2005 model year 310 (hull 299) which is equipped with a 2004 model year Toshbia TV with built in DVD player. It is mounted on the "swing arm" in the V-berth. The TV is 110v and is connected to an inverter. In order to get reception over airwaves we have a digital converter attached to the TV (also mounted to the swing arm). By today's standards the setup is very bulky and arkward.

I would like to convert to a modern flat screen TV and either built in or separately mounted Blu Ray player. I would like to utilize the existing swing arm so I can move theTV for viewing in the salon as well as the V-berth. Has anyone perfromrd a similar conversion? Ay tips thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Jay Acquaviva

s/v Doctor's Orders

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We didn't have the swing arm setup on our 310, so we installed a small flat screen TV with built-in DVD player on the aft bulkhead of the salon (port side). It is visible from both the salon and the v-berth, since the large partition in the forward bulkhead of the salon slides down. In addition, we hooked up two small Bose speakers we had bought for our laptop. HUGE improvement in sound!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jay, it would seem that the most appropriate answer to your question (as stated) would be to find out if the swing arm you currently have will work with a newer TV. This would apply whether it was on your boat or in your house. Perhaps I'm missing something.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Didn't somebody on this forum convert his flat screen to 12v a while back?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have a flat screen mounted on a swing arm (not the original swing arm but in that same location). You can swing it to view from the berth or the salon. We look it down with a bungee cord when we go sailing.

This is similar to the bracket we have. http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Art...TF8&qid=1397150678&sr=8-6&keywords=tv+bracket It's through bolted on the bulkhead and is very secure.

We are in the process of converting to 12volt. The current TV will be swapped for one that can be powered by 12 volt and a 12 volt outlet added on the berth side.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Didn't somebody on this forum convert his flat screen to 12v a while back?
Or just bought it... While I am not affiliated, I am a fan of the Skyworth product for 12-volt applications. I just installed one in my storm shelter. They make AC/DC TV units up to 22" screen-size.

I know of none that have Bluray built in but you can get DVD players built in

Jan 22, 2008
Simple conversion from analog to Digital HD TV

Happy to report that the conversion from the old analog TV to a digital TV was without incident. This is truly one of the few projects (boat or otherwise) that was straight forward. Replaced original TV with a 22" RCA Hd flat screen 110v with built in DVD that plugs directly into the inverter. Replaced the original swing arm with a bulkhead mounted flat screen swing arm with a 14" swing. The 14" inch swing was important so the TV would be centered in the opening between V-berth and main salon.

JK's photo made everything gel in my head. Thank you very much.

BTW the original swing arm is available for the asking to anyone who may want it. Just pay shipping of your choice from OKC to your location.

Fair winds and happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!!!!

Jay Acquaviva
s/v Doctor's Orders

Jan 22, 2008
Attached are 2 photos (I hope) taken with my iphone. Hope they are helpful. As an observation, the dememsions of the swing arm and the old analog TV -vs- the newer flat screen digital HD TV and accompanying flat screen swing arm, the new installation seems to "open up" the V-berth area quite a bit. In any event, if you have a use for the old style it is your for the shipping.

Jay

Attachments

Jul 3, 2011
Catalina 310 Jersey City, NJ
The pictures of the mount are useful. It really does open up the V berth. I may give this a try. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
DC for TV powering is the best way to go to reduce power consumption. Having said that; the prices and size options are better for 115 AC units. Chief