Turnbuckles - Navtec "Rigging screw" vs Open-Body

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
Helo all --

I will be having a new headstay put on the boat as part of adding a roller furler unit this fall. The rigger in the quote included a new turnbuckle.

Is it normal to replace all the turnbuckles when replacing the wire?

Also, the boat has what I think are called rigging screws ( or Navtec style ) turnbuckles. The rig has identical turnbuckles to the image below, 3/8" threaded body with 3/8" pins at all 6 chainplate attachment points. Should I stick with the rigging screw style or change to the open-body style similar to the image shown?

1630681146710.png
1630681264682.png

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.........The rigger in the quote included a new turnbuckle. Is it normal to replace all the turnbuckles when replacing the wire?................Should I stick with the rigging screw style or change to the open-body style..........
Depends on the turnbuckle condition, e.g., age, bent, stress cracked, corroded, galled and/or seized and whether the rigger will guarantee his work by using existing ons. If still in good condition, might ask the rigger to re-use it and ir, not why. Interesting discussion on whether to reuse or replace turnbuckles in this thread Reuse or replace turnbuckles? - Gear Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

What is your rigger's recommendation on the need to replace the Navtec rigging screw with open-body turnbuckles? How old are they? Cannot find a good reason to replace the Navtec turnbuckles, if they are in good condition. In the meantime, you might find this thread helpful as the posts discuss preferences for each type: Navtec Turnbuckles | SailNet Community

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Just be sure that your "Navtec" rigging screws were replaced in the '80's factory recall. The early ones, used by a lot OEM's, were subject to galling and snapping off without warning. The current owners of the product name, Lewmar, should have info about this... (or the young person answering the phone will just hang up and hope that you are not an attorney...)
:(

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Is it normal to replace all the turnbuckles when replacing the wire?
Depending entirely on condition upon close inspection, they will normally get replaced every other re-rig. And with a new standing rig due every 20 years-- at the most, this is way overdue if not previously done.

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks to the people that replied. My rigor tells me that the Navtec style will not work with the furthers I’m looking at, so replacing it is the plan with a modern style turnbuckle.

I will do some visual checks of the existing Versions to make sure I don’t see anything that seems questionable.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
RIck, You would need to replace half of the turnbuckle in that the upper half of the old one is swaged to the old cable.

The rigger may have been trying to save you some money, in addition to the Furler Fit issue...
I know sounds strange...

Here are two links to Rigging hardware showing prices. The Navtec part you need is considerably more expensive. You need to identify the wire size in order to find the part price.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If I were changing rigging, I'd also change the turnbuckles. No comment on what type to use, but I'd change turnbuckles with the rigging. Just my 2 cents worth.

dj

Dec 1, 2020
Agreed. The cost differences of moving to the non-Navtec type make this a logical decision and not a large cost factor.