Turn Blocks on a 1984 Hunter 34

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I know this is totally lazy of me but I am at work right now so I'm gonna do it anyway. Does anyone out there know the make of the turn blocks near the stern that carry the jib sheets around and to the winch. They would be original to the boat. There is a symbol on them but I do not recognize it. I ask because I want to try to find a replacement sheave. Thanks and sorry for being a lazy bum.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Is the "symbol" a "C" superimposed over a "W" as you see here:
Wilcox31.jpg
If so, it was made by Wilcox Crittendon. Sadly, they are no longer in business.

If not, google "turning blocks", get mfg names, look those names up!

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I recently replaced my Nicro’s on my 1986 H34 with Garhauer Part: 50-21 HB

Perfect replacement. Shannon

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Mine are from Lewmar. I drilled the pin out from the back. Once you can push it out I replaced the sheave from Svendsen's and a clevis pin from the back side. That way it can't fall out, but remains serviceable in the future.

Cheek block.jpg

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
the original on my 1984 34 are lewmar but I cannot find a exact replacement it looks like lewmar has discontiued thes block and made a new style. I am going to remove mine and put new sheaves in. Debating making them from aluminium or delren. Was also thinking about using skateboard wheel bearings to make it last longer and prevent pin wear.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
the original on my 1984 34 are lewmar but I cannot find a exact replacement it looks like lewmar has discontiued thes block and made a new style. I am going to remove mine and put new sheaves in. Debating making them from aluminium or delren. Was also thinking about using skateboard wheel bearings to make it last longer and prevent pin wear.
I may not be quite that inventive.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
In reading some of the procedures other folks have done there is something I do not understand. Why replace the original pin with a bolt? Does the original pin not come out without destroying it. Can it not be reused?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
In reading some of the procedures other folks have done there is something I do not understand. Why replace the original pin with a bolt? Does the original pin not come out without destroying it. Can it not be reused?
That is correct the original pin cannot be reused, to get it out you have to drill it out. The original pin is peened in place from the back side. I suppose you can get get a new pin with the appropriate size and peen it in yourself, but as far as I am concerned the screw and cap nut are fine and makes future replacements easier.