• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

TS Milton --> Hurricane Milton

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
My son, and AF pilot, when he was training was having issues with barfing in the T-38, to the point that it "could be an issue". Asked me what he could possibly do about the problem. I told him, "Bananas". He said, "really, will that cure it?" I said, "No, but they taste the same coming up as they do going down". He said, "FU Dad!" We both laughed!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
My son, and AF pilot, when he was training was having issues with barfing in the T-38, to the point that it "could be an issue". Asked me what he could possibly do about the problem. I told him, "Bananas". He said, "really, will that cure it?" I said, "No, but they taste the same coming up as they do going down". He said, "FU Dad!" We both laughed!
When I was learning to SCUBA, the instructor told us to eat bananas before a dive. Why? Because they will pass through a regulator and out so you don't have to remove it when you barf.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Bad luck on fishing boats, keeps the fish from biting according to some fishermen!
Turns out bananas contain a compound called isoamyl acetate (also known as isopentyl acetate) – the very same as that which is in honeybees’ alarm pheromone. Pure banana oil (used in emollients, perfumes, and to broaden the flavored milk range) is nothing but this colorless liquid ester, occasionally mixed with other chemicals. While bees’ alarm pheromone isn’t just isoamyl acetate – in fact there are over 40 compounds in the cocktail – it is the main active component.
Put Down That Banana, Beekeeper
So eat your bananas with caution.

-Will

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So, I am about 10 miles inland in Bonita Springs….I was mostly concerned about flooding from rain, or wind damage depending on where Milton made landfall. I did have my hurricane shutters put up, but not much else I could do since I wasn’t in FL.

Hurricane made landfall north of my place and while we had some wind, nothing too damaging in my neighborhood. Not much rain either, so no flooding. We didn’t loose power either.

I was monitoring the Imperial River gage levels, but never rose above 12 feet.

Feel like I dodged a bullet! Will plan to head down next week unless something else happens.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
All's well in Jensen Beach but we avoided a deadly tornado by 4 miles. It was crazy as alerts came in on every device and media we have almost constantly. With the storm shutters up you can't see outside so there's no way of knowing if a tornado is going to find you or not. Listening for the train noise doesn't work among all the thunder around. Instead of cowering in a closet we had dinner at the table with wine.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can I keep him, Mom? He followed me home.

I hope everyone is safe. I have friends in the Tampa Bay area. My 90 year old aunt was bussed, along with other assisted living neighbors, out of Tampa.

-Will