TS Imelda raising hell east of Houston- I-10 corridor

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Just got a call from my daughter- they are flooded. Almost as much as Hurricane Harvey. Not in her trailer, but up to top of steps and unable to get out . Has her car up on a feeder street and She told me her car has five inches of water in it.

Rest of family over there ok so far

But it's still pouring This is between Beaumont and Port Arthur on I-10

Both hospitals in area are inaccessible!! They''ve had over 18 inches of rain so far and it's still pouring

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Winnie is catching hell, I just managed to get back to Baytown from my office in Chambers County in my F-250 4 X 4. Hopefully this starts easing up. As bad as Allison or Harvey in some spots. Nine inches in my backyard rain gauge last 36 hours.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My sister moved to Houston last winter/spring. She's OK but local flooding prevents her from leaving home. I told her Tuesday to go to Walmart and get a cheap orange life jacket and a blow up raft - under $100. She laughed at me. She would be like the lady on Grand Abaco Island wading through chest deep water carrying a menagerie of pets. At least she could put the critters in the raft and have floatation to free her arms. I do wonder why that sort of preparation isn't discussed. Why not keep a Jon boat nearby your house if high water rescue might be necessary.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Cedar Bayou.JPG

Cedar Bayou has started to recede, but the San Jacinto River is still rising. No idea when I-10 will open, flooded bad right in the middle of downtown Houston.
I10.JPG

Mar 1, 2012
Just spoke with daughter- water did NOT get into her house and while she had 5 inches in car, the engine is ok- car started up.
They've had over 30 inches of rain since yesterday. More than Harvey in 2018

Daddy is VERY relieved

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Changes my plans

I am driving out to San Antonio leaving tomorrow afternoon was planning on stopping in Beaumont for the night bet there are no motel room available now. Guess I'll stop in Layfette just to be sure I get a room. My issues are small compared to what those out there dealing with.

Mar 1, 2012
Can't get through Beaumont, Port Arthur- I 10 flooded, closed. I 45 at I-10 crossing is 4 feet deep, or more

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just spoke with daughter- water did NOT get into her house and while she had 5 inches in car, the engine is ok- car started up.
They've had over 30 inches of rain since yesterday. More than Harvey in 2018

Daddy is VERY relieved
Glad to hear that the family is OK. That’s the problem with these systems, when they become stationary, it’s impossible to predict the amounts of rainfall and tidal surge that you’re going to have in a given locale. In most cases, one try’s to determine the need to evacuate in advance of the storm, based on experiences with previous storms; however, it’s difficult to extrapolate from one storm to another.

Mar 1, 2012
for Rick- this report just came in-
multiple barges have struck the I-10 bridge at the San Jacinto River overnight and I-10 is closed in both directions at the river

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Going to be a tough commute. Guess the barge Captains did a marginal job of tying up. Or mabey the tree they were tied to just pulled out of the ground. Only an investigation will tell.

Jun 2, 2004
for Rick- this report just came in-
multiple barges have struck the I-10 bridge at the San Jacinto River overnight and I-10 is closed in both directions at the river
Thanks guys

Just got home an hour ago

Trip home was way worse than heading out. West bound we ended up going around Baton Rouge to Opelousas and spent the night in Alexandria took the smaller roads west and did not pick up I-10 till we got to Luling. Worked well. Coming home we got a late start and I-10 was shut down around the Brazos River we spent about three hours creeping along then a bit of a tie up across the San Jacinto bridge not awful considering but then there was construction/ accidents on I-10 over the Atchafalaya and we crept along the for a while. Got to remember to always go through Opelousas, that stretch of 10 has bit me in the ass too many times. What is normally a little more than a twelve hour drive was about seventeen. Long day after a long wonderful week.

My inconvenience pales compared to what those folks who live in the affected areas have been through so I'm not complaining at all because the next one could be in our neighborhood.

Mar 1, 2012
Understand. I bet the Henderson swamp, which is what the bridge crosses, was way deep. Used to drive from Jacksonville F la to beaumont semi annually- that bridge cut a flat 100 miles off the trip :)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
@Rick Webb I grew up outside of Opelousas .. Made the trip from Baton Rouge about a bajillion times.. almost always faster to go on Hwy 190 instead of I-10.. With the advent of traffic avoidance in current nav systems, Hwy 190 gets really crowded really quickly when some bozeaux crashes into someone (going in the same direction !) on the swamp bridge .. I made the run to Houston/Baytown many times on business mostly because door-to-door was shorter timewise driving instead of flying.. Was stationed in Beeville when in Navy, so made the run from there to Opelousas a bunch.. I hate I-10 !! (but it is fast) Now reired from work, sold the old homestead, so I don't drive that nightmare any more.. The run from Baton Rouge to Ft.Walton can get pretty messy when the condos on the "Redneck Riveria" dump folks and accept new folks on Sundays!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
@Rick Webb I grew up outside of Opelousas .. Made the trip from Baton Rouge about a bajillion times.. almost always faster to go on Hwy 190 instead of I-10.. With the advent of traffic avoidance in current nav systems, Hwy 190 gets really crowded really quickly when some bozeaux crashes into someone (going in the same direction !) on the swamp bridge .. I made the run to Houston/Baytown many times on business mostly because door-to-door was shorter timewise driving instead of flying.. Was stationed in Beeville when in Navy, so made the run from there to Opelousas a bunch.. I hate I-10 !! (but it is fast) Now reired from work, sold the old homestead, so I don't drive that nightmare any more.. The run from Baton Rouge to Ft.Walton can get pretty messy when the condos on the "Redneck Riveria" dump folks and accept new folks on Sundays!
All those Texas and Louisiana plates coming in and out of Destin up to Crestview are a pain in the ass but I do get lot's of appreciated honks for the Texas State University, Gonzales Flag and Buc-ee's stickers on my truck.