Trying to install new hour meter

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
The digital hour meter inside my tach has given up the ghost. My Bavaria 35 has a Volvo MD 2030D without key ignition at the helm. I bought a cheapie hour meter I'd like to use in the engine bay, avoiding running any wiring to the helm pedestal. It seems if I connect to the "w" on the alternator, the meter will turn simply by connection through to the battery, let alone that I may need an interface between the alternator and the meter. I haven't located any oil pressure sending unit to try that approach. Any ideas? I'd like to keep this simple.
Thanks.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Oil pressure switches work by switching ground. You’ll need a relay to make that work. The W terminal is an AC out doubt your meter will like that. I bought a hour meter that uses vibration to trigger - battery operated

Search “vibration hour meter” on amazon $20.

Les

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Just connect it to any 12V power that is switched on by the key. I don't recall what the "w" wire on the alternator does.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
many folks connect to the vent fan. Engine on, fan's on, meter 's on.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Thanks guys. No fan, it's diesel. No key, just start button. Thanks Les, I'll look for the vibration model. Cruising up the sound now to Mystery Bay and then Port Ludlow. Got to celebrate labor day for all the work hours we put into our labors of love!!!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Poullsbo Sunday and Bell Harbor Monday. Then working down to Gig Harbor before working back to Everett

Les