Trying to clean up weathered anodized rubrails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
The grey anodized aluminum rub rails on our Hunter 34 are pretty roughed up and need some welding repair in a couple of spots. If I can't figure out how to clean them up they will be the worst looking part of the boat when we reassemble everything. Since having a 32 ft long piece of aluminum anodized or powder coated is pretty much out of the question does anyone have advice, preferably based on real-world experience, about how I might get these things looking good? Would epoxy primer and some high quality 2-part paint hold up and be repairable down the road? Anyone tried it? I've used the POR-15 products on steel during auto restoration projects but not on aluminum. Anyone have experience with POR-15 on aluminum?

Jun 25, 2006
The grey anodized aluminum rub rails on our Hunter 34 are pretty roughed up and need some welding repair in a couple of spots. If I can't figure out how to clean them up they will be the worst looking part of the boat when we reassemble everything. Since having a 32 ft long piece of aluminum anodized or powder coated is pretty much out of the question does anyone have advice, preferably based on real-world experience, about how I might get these things looking good? Would epoxy primer and some high quality 2-part paint hold up and be repairable down the road? Anyone tried it? I've used the POR-15 products on steel during auto restoration projects but not on aluminum. Anyone have experience with POR-15 on aluminum?

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Paint them

You can paint them using the Interlux system. Starting with the self etching primer and then the epoxy primer and then 2 coats of Perfection. They will look better than the rest of your boat if you do it right. They will also be easy to touch up. I am writing an article about refinishing aluminum spars. Email me via my profile and I will send you a copy of what I have so far. Tim R.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Paint them

You can paint them using the Interlux system. Starting with the self etching primer and then the epoxy primer and then 2 coats of Perfection. They will look better than the rest of your boat if you do it right. They will also be easy to touch up. I am writing an article about refinishing aluminum spars. Email me via my profile and I will send you a copy of what I have so far. Tim R.

Dec 24, 2003
- - Va. Beach, Va
Mickey,

Have you considered calling Mike at Hunter parts to see how much new replacement rub rails would be? His # is 800-771-5556 ext 3615

Dec 24, 2003
- - Va. Beach, Va
Mickey,

Have you considered calling Mike at Hunter parts to see how much new replacement rub rails would be? His # is 800-771-5556 ext 3615

Jun 25, 2006
Not available

I gave him a call. The "toe rail" is no longer available. Nice deck fluff BTW.

Jun 25, 2006
Not available

I gave him a call. The "toe rail" is no longer available. Nice deck fluff BTW.

Dec 24, 2003
- - Va. Beach, Va
RE, BTW,

Costly, special order. Sorry to hear bout the toe rail. Any chance of getting a metal fab shop to make new ones; or is it just too costly?

Dec 24, 2003
- - Va. Beach, Va
RE, BTW,

Costly, special order. Sorry to hear bout the toe rail. Any chance of getting a metal fab shop to make new ones; or is it just too costly?

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
My old Cal Owner's Manual

Called for fine wet sanding with 400 grit wet/dry paper as maintenance for the mast and boom and then let it oxidize to an even gray. Anodizing is just hard rust/oxidation. Once you get it to an even finish that is consistent, it will look just fine. Once you paint, it will be like varnishing any high abrasion surface...annual maintenance PITA

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
My old Cal Owner's Manual

Called for fine wet sanding with 400 grit wet/dry paper as maintenance for the mast and boom and then let it oxidize to an even gray. Anodizing is just hard rust/oxidation. Once you get it to an even finish that is consistent, it will look just fine. Once you paint, it will be like varnishing any high abrasion surface...annual maintenance PITA

Status
Not open for further replies.