Trying out my new GoPro

Kper

Mar 12, 2014
Catalina 25 Iowa
This is really hard to stomach when it's 16 degrees outside. Great video and beautiful boat!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Deleted because I sounded too snarky. Sorry

Last edited:

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Nice. I was prepping my boat this weekend for a 8 or 9 day cruise starting next weekend. I used our go pro attached to a boat hook to dip in the water and check growth on the running gear. We have so much tannins in the water from rain and it is not exactly warm yet, I was very happy I did not need to put on the wet suit and scrape. Technology is my friend!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I read your "snarky" comment before you deleted it. Kinda gives me an idea, though. How about a thread or even a category for video tips and hints? Although I'm a professional photographer, I find it difficult to get good images while on my own boat. So ideas would be greatly appreciated. I tried video for about a minute and a half before giving up. Kudos to anyone who gets good pictures and videos. And especially if the music syncs properly. Oh, and I enjoyed the video, Terry.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't be sorry, my friend, I know I would appreciated any kind of movie making advice... so as Kermit suggested, there may be an opportunity for us to tap into your experience in a general sense, rather than critiquing videos. My suggestion is that you repost your comments as a new topic, then we can have a non snarking discussion. What do you say?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
What is that liquid you are on.......is that water? Forgot what it looked like. :)

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I am using gopro editing software. No manual. Or instruction found. So,trial and error. Each clip has to be downloaded, converted, then clipped and inserted, cannot use more than 1 clip from each video at a time. So if you have 5 minutes of raw video i found you have to reload and convert it for each short burst of video. Then add sound and after this you cannot send it to friends until you convert to something like vimeo links. Not that it is not a fun project it is just it takes a lot of time waiting for the computer to process. I also tried using i movie on my i pad. It is workable but all touchscreen and has similar drawbacks. Would be nice to clip and paste.

Mar 5, 2014
Hunter 33.6 Montral - Pointe-Claire QC
By the way, it's fully interesting to see other place sailing. It's beautiful to look it when outside temperature is minus 17 C. or 1.4 Fahrenheit
Place another one if you can ..
This makes me relax .. and forget the one who are "snarky"

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
Thinkin bout it.

Well, I bought the camera and this is one of my first videos. Just a teaser to you up North. This was 2 days ago here off Naples Fl.
http://vimeo.com/89798838
I've watched and enjoyed a lot of sailing videos, and enjoyed most. Specially those done with the GoPro camera. All are appreciated except those with the wind noise. I gotta shut em down, it's real annoying. Thinking about trying to do some of my own. Everyone who does it with editing says an hours work for every five minutes of video. Stuff I've shot in the past has been real stinko and I so enjoy being on the boat, I forget to take video of the good stuff. Don't know if it's really worth the effort. I'm speaking about myself of course, not anyone else.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I too did not like the windnoise and now i have figured out how to control the sound level of the wind independently from the added sound. Also i was a able to add a voice over. Eventually i will get it figured out. My next contribution will be better.

Mar 5, 2014
Hunter 33.6 Montral - Pointe-Claire QC
Me too I prefer to hear ambient sounds on sailing videos, it's represent the reallity when I sail and it's very very cool... Thanks again!

Jan 22, 2014
J Boats J-37 New Albany, IN
Terry did you ever see the move "Body Snatchers" that could happen to you!! ;) It snowed in Indianapolis this morning so I sure enjoyed your video.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
At the risk of sounding "snarky".... mount it somewhere and sail......

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We use GoPros all the time for sailing. Started out mostly as race crew training. Two things I've learned. Taking good raw footage is hard, editing it into a film is hard too.

I've kinda given up on editing. We take gigabytes of footage a day, I just chop out interesting bits and post those.

If you DO make a video, please make it interesting! The web is full of crappy dull sailing videos!! ;-)

But I am thinking about making a short movie of our current jaunt. I hope I can make it interesting! ;-)