Trucking a Yacht

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I'd like to get a rough idea of what the cost would be to truck a sailboat across the U.S., say a 40 footer. Anyone who has had this done please tell about your experience.

Jan 18, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Burnt Store Marina
Last estimate I saw for a similar oversized load (but not a yacht in particular) was $3.00 per mile.

You could always truck to Sioux City and go down the Missouri.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't forget the expenses for hauling, de-rigging and prepping the boat for transport (Including shrink wrap if you value the topsides.) And for undoing the prep at the other end.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Depends...........are you shiiping east to west or west to east, what is the beam width?

Ditto SandyFrank .........these guys indicate $2.75-$3.75 per mile from the east as a rough estimate depending on beam width Cost To Ship A Boat | Boat Shipping Rates | Boat Transport Cost (a1autotransport.com) and thus site indicates $2.50 + $0.25 per extra ft of beam above 8'6" per miile from the east Boat Hauling Rates (boathaulingus.com). To be sure contact a shipper to get a quote and as indicated by shemandr include the cost for haul-out, derigging, shrink wrap, re-rigging and launching.

Last edited:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
trucking alone was $6k from CT to MI. Add another $1700 for having a yard do all the prep work for shipment. On the receiving end for me, cost was much more manageable, but if I summed up buying a non-local boat, including flying out for a survey, the survey, trucking, taxes, delivery etc. I added $14k to the cost of the boat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ouch! That's why a former poster on this forum said "You move money - not boats." Or something like that.