Tristan Jones sailed the Challenger BARBARA over 32,000 mile

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
s. The manuscript, Track of the Barbara was never published but much of the adventure which included crossing the Atlantic, through the Mediterranean, out the Red Sea, around the southern tip of Africa and ultimatley back to the US through the Carribbean is covered lightly. This also included a trip of several hundred miles up the Amazon. The journey is breifly documented in the new biography of Jones by Anthony Dalton titled, Wayward Sailor.

Interesting for a Challenger owner but the bizzare story of the fictional life Jones concocted is very interesting. Tristan was the paid captain and spent around 4 years moving the Barbara through this interesting journey.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
Wayward sailor

I've read most of Tristan's books, so I'm looking forward to seeing this biography about him. Thanks for the heads up. I'd like to see a review of the Challenger by Tristan...things he'd change on it, etc.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Good question, where are the Challengers?

I know Alden keeps some records of ownership but they're alittle busy for doing leg work like which one is where. Some are being saved from extinction right here on this board.

At some point I would like to have the time to research their where abouts and start getting the information down. This site will be the perfect place to keep the information.

Challengers are unique in that the fiberglass hulls and decks could preserve them for a long time to come. On the other hand, their wooden cabin, cockpits and many other wooden parts are particularly suseptable
to a pretty quick demise if not cared for. But there is a resurgence in the wooden boat stuff, this is helping. You need to wear both hats, fiberglass and wood, to take care of these boats.