triple breaker

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
paneltronics has them on there site for about 55 dollars
It could happen, but I don't think I've ever found an OEM that listed parts for less than you could get it from a reseller. It's possible. I'd have to find the p/n I bought and compare. It would be good to know one manuf is out there that is competitive.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you want to be conservative you have to shop,shop,shop, and shop some more

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Naturally. You shop price, shipping, tax and any coupons or discounts available. I always beat manuf prices if item is available elsewhere.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It could happen, but I don't think I've ever found an OEM that listed parts for less than you could get it from a reseller. It's possible. I'd have to find the p/n I bought and compare. It would be good to know one manuf is out there that is competitive.

Certain manufacturers in the marine market do not have "retail" pricing or "wholesale" pricing. Everyone gets the same price. I can think of a number of them and as a marine installer I avoid them whenever I can. Even when I try to make a measly 10% margin, in a weak attempt to cover my time spent researching, ordering it, delivering it, experience in choosing and sourcing quality products, installing it and then standing behind it, an owner undoubtedly says "Jeez I can get that for 10% less."...

These days when a company does not offer even a 10% discount to the trade, and numerous marine companies do not, I tell the owner to supply the part and they get to warranty it too. I am also doing this with brands that have low reliability when an owner insists on me installing that product against my advice not to. I currently have two electronic equipment companies on my black list and soon to be three.

What this all boils down to is this means that anyone who wants to sell that product has to mark it up beyond the manufacturers single price in order to make it worth while selling, handling and standing behind the product.

Last fall I had to tell a customer, who insisted he supply parts, (I was 11% higher than the lowest priced legitimate Victron dealer) that his dead "Victron" MPPT controller was not a Victron at all but rather a very poor Chinese counterfeit copy of a Victron. Course he was beyond his 30 eBay period so he could not even give the seller a bad rating.... D'oh...

On Tuesday a customer called and wanted to buy Westerbeke parts from me. I simply told him to purchase through a Westerbeke dealer as my discount is roughly 10%. I was not interested in ordering, delivering and then standing behind the parts he needed for that kind of margin, it's simply not worth it. I will be installing the parts but any warranty issues he deals with Westerbeke, not me. I was brutally honest about it and he was fine with it... Considering Westerbeke is putting a 300 - 700% markup on many items it's pretty ridiculous that my trade discount is about 10%.

Heck I recently sourced a solenoid Westerbeke "re-packages" and got it for just $24.23. They sell it to me with my trade discount for $238.00.... I sold it to the customer for $31.49 (my cost X 1.3) and he still saved well over $200.00. I could have actually made more money reselling the more expensive Westerbeke part at a 10% mark up but I chose instead to save him some money. I did not charge him for the time spent crossing it over which was about 20-30 minutes. Even with a cost X 1.3 mark up I still did not make any money on that part when you account for my hourly rate spent researching and saving him money.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
RC
Clarify...if I wired the aircon in reverse polarity, wouldnt this main breaker with reverse polarity protection trip immediately?

What I get is the unit will run for a while and then trip. If I reset it and try again, it will trip when the compressor kicks in. So it seems to be a draw issue, not a polarity issue. Factory told me the start up draw is 12 amps and continious is around 8 amps
Hey! Remember me?

Oh look, a squirrel!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there is a over amp protection on the compressor that is kicking the compressor off at 21.5 amps...the reason it is drawing so much is there is a restriction in the freon passageway somewhere or to much freon in the unit ...that causes the compressor to work harder ...which in turn draws more power either in volts or amps and that trips the protection sensor....as for your question about the two pole(3pole trip breaker)..... if you wire it reverse polarity it will trip and stay tripped till you get the polarity correct

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
Reverse polarity only refers to the incoming shore power cable, a significant voltage difference between the white neutral and the green ground. If you cross the black hot and white neutral at the AC unit, it will probably work, but will have dangerous 110 Volts in places it shouldn't. It won't trip your reverse polarity breaker, unless there is a connection between the neutral wiring and ground wiring in the AC unit which there shouldn't be.
I have a 15 amp breaker that I often trip by running my microwave and toaster at the same time. It works for about 30 seconds before tripping. I can't seem to remember that when making soup and sandwiches until after it trips.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Mainsail
I will show you with photo my main panels and don't know if you can see on the panel on right and the bottom breaker is a crossover breaker that allows my to use everything with just on 30 A plug.
Been doing this one plug for many years and know not to use any other heavy draw at the same time as the AC and my wife just asks and I just shut down the AC to turn on hot water.
It was all factory installed by Hunter, Gen,Inverter/charger,AC and I did add the solar and I insisted that everything be installed at the factory and not dealer.
Nick

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Very nice! This is all I have on board my Hunter to monitor my system. It's attached to my Freedom Combi Inverter/charger. Much room for improvement