Trip to Europe (and back) begins

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looks like they're close to dropping the hook for the night:
View attachment 223820
Hook dropped. Surrounded by birds! There is a huge nesting colony behind us on an island. Really cool! I tried to record it but the wind just made too much noise in the microphone. It's a symphony!

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I'm too far away to get a good photo, but the black line along the water is all birds.

dj

PXL_20240327_231424437.jpg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Great movie. Nick Nolte and Robert De Nero. No spoilers! Watch it.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Great movie. Nick Nolte and Robert De Nero. No spoilers! Watch it.
I tried last night but Netflix does not have it for viewing... sadly... I play around tonight and see if I can find it elsewhere. We will be anchored here for today and tonight. Looks like an up anchor Friday morning...

dj

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I told you the ICW was interesting. You missed the Cyprus swamps along the ICW from Beaufort, SC to Charleston. Really cool but some very skinny water.

If the Dismal Swamp Canal is open (sometimes depth or lock closures happen) it is pretty cool. It was surveyed by Washington when he was a young man. There is a "free dock" about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way along from the South. It is actually a combo "rest stop" for cars on one side and a rest stop for boats on the other side. This time of year you shouldn't have to worry about snakes dropping into the boat if you get to close to one side or the other and brush a tree branch with your mast. :yikes:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I told you the ICW was interesting. You missed the Cyprus swamps along the ICW from Beaufort, SC to Charleston. Really cool but some very skinny water.

If the Dismal Swamp Canal is open (sometimes depth or lock closures happen) it is pretty cool. It was surveyed by Washington when he was a young man. There is a "free dock" about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way along from the South. It is actually a combo "rest stop" for cars on one side and a rest stop for boats on the other side. This time of year you shouldn't have to worry about snakes dropping into the boat if you get to close to one side or the other and brush a tree branch with your mast. :yikes:
This is a trip for a trawler, in my opinion. We are waiting for a weather window and will go around Hatteras off-shore for the remaining part of this trip. It's just way to much work to run up the ditch in my boat. I've 6 feet of draft. I think a boat with 4 feet or less draft would be much better, and limited air draft would be so much simpler.

So anybody looking to run this trip in the future with a nice trawler and looking for crew, I make good crew! LOL

dj

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I agree, it could be a challenge with your draft but it is an interesting stretch of waterway. I have a 4ft 10 in bulb keel so it is a bit more reasonable for me. If you can do the offshore around Hatteras it will be much quicker and I know you are in a hurry to see that new baby. When do you expect the weather window to open? Be safe.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I agree, it could be a challenge with your draft but it is an interesting stretch of waterway. I have a 4ft 10 in bulb keel so it is a bit more reasonable for me. If you can do the offshore around Hatteras it will be much quicker and I know you are in a hurry to see that new baby. When do you expect the weather window to open? Be safe.
:Looks like tomorrow morning. We should have several good days of sailing, some light airs, depends on which model and how well they work. It's between 3 and 5 days off-shore from here to my home port, depending upon what I can average for boat speed. I'm darned close now...

dj