Trimming main in heavy Air

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
So, most literature on sail trim will tell you to flatten sail and drop the traveler to the low side to depower the main when getting over powered on a beat. Through experience, I have found that easing the sheets and moving the traveler up to the high side centers the boom and opens the leach thus depowering and lowering center of force and decreasing weather helm. This calms the boat right down. I have never seen this tactic mentioned in sail trim literature. What am I missing? Anyone else do this? What's the deal?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
So, most literature on sail trim will tell you to flatten sail and drop the traveler to the low side to depower the main when getting over powered on a beat. Through experience, I have found that easing the sheets and moving the traveler up to the high side centers the boom and opens the leach thus depowering and lowering center of force and decreasing weather helm. This calms the boat right down. I have never seen this tactic mentioned in sail trim literature. What am I missing? Anyone else do this? What's the deal?
Very very good. Well done.

First some background. When the breeze is up, JOB ONE is to deal will excess pressure. The boat will go fast sure, the trick is to manage heel and deal with the power in the sail. So...

Short of straight-off reefing, one way is to blade off the entire sail. This is the common method shown in teaching guides. Nothing wrong with that. But what you are describing above is a well known but less talked about racing trick called 'sailing the bottom of the main'. You go traveler-up, and sheet off. The bottom half generates power, and the top half basically weathervanes. Its often a step before reefing, or good when you're not sure reefing is a good idea. Looks like this.

The top half of the sail has TONS of twist and is generating no lift. Its basically blowing straight back in the apparent wind. The bottom half is doing all the work, but that's OK because 1/2 the possible work is driving you at max speed, and the heel is fine. Whats not to like?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Racing trick yes. Cruising trick no.
That twist can flog the top half, especially depending on sail construction ie half batten.
Short term, not an issue. Long cruise in beefy wind, flogging and wear. Sail and slides will suffer.
Also, winds aloft can be faster than on deck.
I like the technique for the reasons others describe, but for sailing high long term in a stronger than usual wind, flatten and leeward traveler.

Nov 8, 2010
Racing trick yes. Cruising trick no.
That twist can flog the top half, especially depending on sail construction ie half batten.
Short term, not an issue. Long cruise in beefy wind, flogging and wear. Sail and slides will suffer.
Also, winds aloft can be faster than on deck.
I like the technique for the reasons others describe, but for sailing high long term in a stronger than usual wind, flatten and leeward traveler.
Racing trick. Cruising trick. C'est tout la meme. We ALL sail.

Valid concerns about the possible effects on the mainsail. But the technique he describes is perfectly suited for cruising. Hey, that's what he's doing, and HE figured it out. And, racers are much more careful to not flog their sails than cruisers are, mostly based on sail construction. The key is to able able to balance the sail so the bottom half drives and top half luffs without fluttering. Use your luff line as needed. Easy once you get used to it. And its FAST.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We do it too. Our previous boat had a travelled that wasn't really adjustable - it was pin set. The new boat has an adjustable traveller but with mid boom sheeting that doesn't provide enough leverage to be able to quickly pull the traveller to windward in any kind of heavy breeze. Using the sheet to dump wind off the top of the sail seems just fine for us to balance out the boat.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
this just amazes me everything is exact opposites..... golf opposite...... bowling opposite......it always seems more is less....going away from it to get back to it .......

Nov 8, 2010
We do it too. Our previous boat had a travelled that wasn't really adjustable - it was pin set. The new boat has an adjustable traveller but with mid boom sheeting that doesn't provide enough leverage to be able to quickly pull the traveller to windward in any kind of heavy breeze. Using the sheet to dump wind off the top of the sail seems just fine for us to balance out the boat.
You're right. On of the reasons I called this a 'racer trick' is that it works better (or easier I suppose) on boats with performance setups.... Wide aft travelers with mainsheets at hand.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i am going to give that a try when i get settled in down in the bay ...it sorta appeals to me ...any thing to be aware of being a novice

MSter

Apr 12, 2010
Sabre 38' MK II Oriental, NC
I'm going to put this in the memory bank, hopefully I will be able to recall when needed.
Mike
s/v Ladylike

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
There is a great book available on this site "Sail Trim User's Guide" The technique is in the book along with many more.
Ken

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I'm too cheap to flog my sails like that, and lose battens. Reef early.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hmm, interesting and makes sense! I will definitely try this technique at the earliest opportunity. One can never have too many tricks in the bag!

Love the illustration, Jackdaw! :thumbup:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks Jackdaw

I started a new thread as a spin-off of this one.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Full battens aren't being mentioned. As a cruising (sometimes racing) sailor with less than new sails, full battens are a must! Not only do they stop the flogging when the sheets are cast off, they can also flatten the sail depending upon batten stiffness. I'd suggest having full batten pockets added to at least the top half of the main, it may be the best and most inexpensive fix you can make.
Gudenuph

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
In addition to Don's great guide, there's this on cruisersforum, read replies #89 & 90 on page 6 and then page 7 by Dockhead, very well written to dispell some myths and incorrect earlier posts from some skippers.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/going-hard-to-wind-main-sail-trim-158006-6.html
This reflects my understanding as well. I like to see it affirmed, so I don't question what I know. :)
However, the whole racing technology aspect regarding boat, rig, etcetera design and setup is an interesting thought process.
I have luffed the main top on a short windy leg usually because I'm lazy, instead of flattening the sail like I should. It's great fun to know that it's actually a "technique". :)

Last edited: