Trident sanitation hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2012
2006 Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
I've been told that Trident is the best sanitation hose. Now I'm having to change mine, I've been looking and I find Trident black and Trident white - both described as "the best" and "premium". Which actually is the best? In fact, what is the difference (research on Trident's site, and vendors' sites have not told me this).

I've seen a number of posts that Trident is not very flexible? How bad a problem is this? what approx bend radius can I expect?

Tks for your help!

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I've been told that Trident is the best sanitation hose. Now I'm having to change mine, I've been looking and I find Trident black and Trident white - both described as "the best" and "premium". Which actually is the best? In fact, what is the difference (research on Trident's site, and vendors' sites have not told me this).

I've seen a number of posts that Trident is not very flexible? How bad a problem is this? what approx bend radius can I expect?

Tks for your help!
Only difference is color (Trident 101-white; 102-Black). The trade off is that it is extremely hard to work with in terms of radius. You should search Peggie Hall's archives on this site for detail on bends and ways to work around this issue.
Two alternatives if you do have a need for more flexiblitiy is Raritan's Saniflex and Novoflex. I replumbed my last boat with Trident and my current boat came from the factory with Novoflex. So far I'm pretty impressed with the Novoflex, but time will tell...

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
its a bear for sure. some stuff that helped me...

1. space heater to warm up rubber to help it bend
2. dish washing soap to lub it up
3. running messenger line through hose to help guide it through tight corners. you can push and pull with the line to get some pressure on angles not possible with just your hands if that makes sense
4. had to cut some fiberglass to make corners that just wouldn't fit the bigger diameter hose if all else failed. the inner diameter was the same but this stuff is 2 ply meaning its 2x thicker

maybe replace only a few sections of the line to see how it goes? you can always switch over to more flexible stuff if it gets too tight. I bought all 30 some feet of then stuff and didn't want to waste any

coxjam

Sep 7, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 Texas Gulf Coast
And you need a wire cutter to clip through the supporting wire. I put the 101(white) in my Hunter Vision when I replaced the whole sewage system. Peggy Hall recommended it and now that it's done, I m glad I used it. A huge tip, use silicon spray in the ends to push hose over fittings. The spray makes it a snap! I believe a spray can at Autozone is under $5 a can. Good luck.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I redid all my plumbing with the black 101 last year. Getting it over thefittings was much easier that I thought it would be. I followed Peggie's advice and bought some KY jelly as the lubricant and softened the hose in boiling water. I also used the 1" version their hose for the vent line.

Matt

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
First, Practical Sailor did a review of this and other leading hoses. In fact the testing is on-going, to learn how long it takes for the stink to permeate. As for bend radius and the details, it's all there. Subscribe!

There is a short version in the link, below. In fact, I installed 5 types on my boat, just to learn of the practical problems. In the end, all were reasonable, though I dislike the stiffness of Dometic Odorsafe. Don't even try working with it in cool weather; it was bad when it was 90F. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2011/09/easy-button.html

• Durability. Trident is very good. So are several others.
  • Stiffness. The Raritan hose is easy to work with, Trident and Shields less so. The Dometic hose is flexible pipe.
  • Adding a 45 or 90 bend can be smart. Any of these hoses will kink if you push. The Raritan hose is most susceptible, because it is so flexible. Don't push it.
  • Best? I really like the Shields Poly-X, but the price is high. Isn't that the way of it!
  • Budget. If I were tight I might use the white Dometic hose out of the head (looks good but you need straight runs and hot water to work the fittings) and Trident where you can't see it (hard to clean). Or all Trident. Or all Raritan.
Actually, either glycerine or K-Y are better choices for lube. Petroleum products can damage some of the hoses (they are not oil resistant) and these lubes are better anyway.

I too had to re-drill a hole to make it bigger. It was worth it. Smooth and guard the holes; on of my hoses leaked between the bulkheads through a pin hole!

Clamp the wire under the band to save torn pants and skin.

Don't use clear hose for the vent; white 148 hose is available and will not stink or kink (a kink can blow the tank).

Bottom line; if you know how to work with hose they are all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.