Trident 101 rubber smell

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I installed a new Trident 101 waste hose roughly 7-8 yrs. ago. When I first installed it, there was a relatively strong rubber smell from the hose. The waste line runs under the bed in the aft cabin and although it's not a strong I still have a rubber smell. Is there another hose that would not have this rubber smell.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I installed a new Trident 101 waste hose roughly 7-8 yrs. ago. When I first installed it, there was a relatively strong rubber smell from the hose. The waste line runs under the bed in the aft cabin and although it's not a strong I still have a rubber smell. Is there another hose that would not have this rubber smell.
My first thought was "it could be worse":poop: but being serious, if the hose is still in good shape and you don't want to replace it, I wonder if you couldn't seal it? It may be a simple as wrapping it with duct tape or running a paint brush over it with some enamel paint or varnish.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is the hose black or white? If white, it's actually 102, which is the same hose as 101 but with a white "skin" on it, apparently for cosmetics. That "skin" is known to outgas a rubber/chemical odor that gradually fades after about a year. I've never heard of it lasting as long as it seems to have lasted on your boat. And I've never heard of any odor from black 101.

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
Is the hose black or white? If white, it's actually 102, which is the same hose as 101 but with a white "skin" on it, apparently for cosmetics. That "skin" is known to outgas a rubber/chemical odor that gradually fades after about a year. I've never heard of it lasting as long as it seems to have lasted on your boat. And I've never heard of any odor from black 101.

--Peggie

It is black 101 and definitely coming from the hose.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Because rubber and plastics dry out, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking, 10 years is the average working life of any hose. Yours are getting close to that, so it's not TOO soon to replace 'em. Raritan Sani-Flex has proven to be 100% odor permeation proof--even has a 10 yr warranty against it--and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking, which makes most hose replacement jobs a whole lot easier.
Defender has 1" and 1.5" for <$10/ft and sells it by the foot so you only have to buy the amount you need. However, "international" shipping rates and the fees etc the go with 'em would make the total price higher than buying it in Canada. Once the border re-opens (Covid can't last forever!), it might be worth the effort to get US shipping address...Georgian Bay isn't that far from Saute St. Marie MI.

Meanwhile, try wrapping the hose--at least the section(s) under the v-berth--with Saran Wrap...it MUST be the Saran brand, it's the only one that works! It's a "bandaid," not a permanent cure, that boat owners have used for decades to seal in odor from stinky hoses (I used it on one of my own boats) to buy time to wait till the weather is cooler to replace 'em. You should be able to locate it in a grocery store...if not, Amazon does...try Amazon.ca.

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
I was considering the Sani-flex, but is around $30 per ft if you can find it up here. May try the Defender route as I have a connection in the US that might work out. Just wanted to make sure I was not getting into the same smell again.
Sault, MI although is close to being on Georgian Bay, is 20 - 24 hours by boat from my location ( halfway up the East coast of the Bay )

Thanks for your help.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What would prevent you from going by land? Fwiw, over the years I've known a lot of Canadian boat owners who live close enough to the border for it to make sense who've rented US addresses at Mailboxes Etc type places (mostly independent) in the nearest US town 'cuz they accept--and sign for if necessary-- packages and hold 'em till you can pick them up. The rent is very inexpensive. You still have declare stuff and pay the duty on anything with a high enough value, but it saves a fortune in shipping costs and also the high prices that Canadian retailers have to charge 'cuz they have to pay high shipping costs and other fees for anything they get from the US.

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
We live 3 hours south of the boat, which makes the Sault 5-6 hrs drive. Buffalo is 2 hours south, which is closests US. May be doing a weekend visit to some friends in US and can bring $800 back after 48hrs.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I should have expanded my map...didn't realize that Buffalo is closer than the Soo.
However my point was the value of US mailing/shipping address to Canadians who live close enough to the border to use it.

--Peggie

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Because rubber and plastics dry out, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking, 10 years is the average working life of any hose. Yours are getting close to that, so it's not TOO soon to replace 'em. Raritan Sani-Flex has proven to be 100% odor permeation proof--even has a 10 yr warranty against it--and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking, which makes most hose replacement jobs a whole lot easier.
Defender has 1" and 1.5" for <$10/ft and sells it by the foot so you only have to buy the amount you need. However, "international" shipping rates and the fees etc the go with 'em would make the total price higher than buying it in Canada. Once the border re-opens (Covid can't last forever!), it might be worth the effort to get US shipping address...Georgian Bay isn't that far from Saute St. Marie MI.

Meanwhile, try wrapping the hose--at least the section(s) under the v-berth--with Saran Wrap...it MUST be the Saran brand, it's the only one that works! It's a "bandaid," not a permanent cure, that boat owners have used for decades to seal in odor from stinky hoses (I used it on one of my own boats) to buy time to wait till the weather is cooler to replace 'em. You should be able to locate it in a grocery store...if not, Amazon does...try Amazon.ca.

--Peggie
Thanks Peggi. I know this is an older post but my brand new Marine Elegance toilet, I used a combination of the black and white Trident sanitation hose and the synthetic rubber smell is overpowering. Slept in the boat last night all closed up because of rain and couldnt sleep. Had a headache from the strong rubber odor. Will try the Saran wrap and see if it can buy me some time until the odor wears off a bit otherwise it so bad i would be willing to rip out all the new and expensive hose to try the Raritan stuff if it has less of an synthetic odor.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Dryloc might work. Or a hard acrylic paint
Thanks for suggestion. I will try those as a last resort if the Saran fails to work. Was expensive hose, really hate the thought of having to rip it all out.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd bet money that only the white Trident 102 is the culprit. It's the same hose as the black 101, with a white "skin" on it that's long been known to outgas for up to a year...enough that it's not recommended for use in "people" areas. So try the Saran on the white hose only...it can't hurt and has a good chance of working. Then you might consider replacing only the white sections of hose with Raritan SaniFlex. You'll find it to be a LOT easier to work work with.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I'd bet money that only the white Trident 102 is the culprit. It's the same hose as the black 101, with a white "skin" on it that's long been known to outgas for up to a year...enough that it's not recommended for use in "people" areas. So try the Saran on the white hose only...it can't hurt and has a good chance of working. Then you might consider replacing only the white sections of hose with Raritan SaniFlex. You'll find it to be a LOT easier to work work with.

--Peggie
Perfect, you are correct. I used the white hose in the head behind the shower pan/wall. I sleep in the main cabin and the white hose/head is right behind the wall where i sleep. Thats where the smell accumulates. I used the black hose in the v-berth (which is currently under construction) for no particular reason, and i dont notice the smell in there. Unfortunately i cant sleep in there anytime soon. Ok, if it turns out to only be the white hose, that will be much easier to replace.

Sep 20, 2006
As a follow up I ended up gettin the Saniflex from Defender. Had headed down to visit some friends in WI so could bring back. Has been great ever since.

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Has been great ever since.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! Now you tell me.

Had exactly the same experience as you, starting three years ago after installing Trident 102. The old stuff was pushing about 17 years old but no smell. After installing the 102, I spent weeks inserting my borescope every possible place near the holding tank looking for a leak I may have caused during :

"The Fight of the Century".
"Man vs. Trident Sanitary Hose"​

It was a body breaker installing it and I thought I may have loosened a fitting or a joint was leaking. Nothing. However, I did have one small advantage ie. all of the hose and tank were in somewhat sealed areas and it didn't smell until I lifted the seat cover in the cabin. Yes, one powerful smell but it disappeared very quickly each time. For this reason only, it's not a deal breaker and I'm not looking to replace it early.

1703444641643.png

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! Now you tell me.

Had exactly the same experience as you, starting three years ago after installing Trident 102. The old stuff was pushing about 17 years old but no smell. After installing the 102, I spent weeks inserting my borescope every possible place near the holding tank looking for a leak I may have caused during :

"The Fight of the Century".
"Man vs. Trident Sanitary Hose"​

It was a body breaker installing it and I thought I may have loosened a fitting or a joint was leaking. Nothing. However, I did have one small advantage ie. all of the hose and tank were in somewhat sealed areas and it didn't smell until I lifted the seat cover in the cabin. Yes, one powerful smell but it disappeared very quickly each time. For this reason only, it's not a deal breaker and I'm not looking to replace it early.

View attachment 222180
Same here. For the past several weeks i have been looking for leaks thinking it was just holding tank smell/leak. Been pulling my hair out until i decided to search for 'Trident chemical hose smell'. Its going to be just as hard to Saran wrap my hoses as it will be to just replace them. Going to order the Raritan hose. What a headache.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
As a follow up I ended up gettin the Saniflex from Defender. Had headed down to visit some friends in WI so could bring back. Has been great ever since.
Thank you for follow up. Ordering hose today.