Tri Data Depth its your guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

My Tri Data Depth reading has been giving some un-realistic readings. I noticed late this summer in shallow water, 5 - 6 feet, that the gauge was reading 35 to 45 feet of water. (not good). I then put the boat back in its dock, 9 ft of water, and one week later cailbrated the tri data offset, which then took a 0.4 ft offset to read correctly. two weeks later and while sailing I was watching the depth move back from the real depth of 9-12 feet to a false reading of 35-42 feet. I would up running aground (yes I got out ok) when the depth gauge read in the low 30's. What do you think? did the transducer become fouled? I called Raytheon and they told me to send the unit and the transducer back for a checkup? I would perfer to keep it in the boat. Removing it might damage the transducer. Any recommendation on painting the transducer? Thanks

B

bill shakun

depth gage

suggest sending the transducer and receiver back to company. i tried all ideas and it was repaired, now works great..

R

Ron Hughes

Tri-data hot-tubbin' fun!

It has become clear to me over time that many of us have trouble at some point with our autohelm products. I called them at the factory about the fact that I didn't believe that the water temperature beneath my boat was in fact 437 degrees celsius. That is four hundred thirty seven. They replied that they were certain that I should purchase a new transducer to get the proper reading. So I did just that and installed it with all of the attendant wiring hassles. I now am virtually certain that the water here in the Columbia River is 437 degrees, as I now have TWO transducers in place that give this consistent reading! Needless to say, I haven't let my family go swimming since, but can you imagine the new real-time gel coat "Bubbles" I'm getting?

G

Gene Barton, s/v Paradigm

Great Autohelm Service

My Autohelm depth transducer went to 0 and wouldn't budge. After checking all wiring, I called the company, and then sent in the display unit. They repaired it and returned it - fast turnaround, and no charge. I agree with you about removing the transducer. Why not try sending just the display unit first? It's easy to remove.

B

Bill O'Donovan

Very frustrating

I had the same problem and called Autohelm, where I was told, "You need to get your head examined." I sent them the head, they tested it, didn't say whether it needed repair, and returned it promptly -- with a $35 bench charge. It still doesn't work right half the time, but one possibility is swirling mud on the river bed as I begin to shoal up. I quit worrying about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.