Travelling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2008
Catalina 30 Quebec City
I am heading into the windy city for a few days on Business and I'd like to call on sailors for some advice on not what to miss while there, in relation to sailing....special little jem of boating stores, nautical book stores, yacht clubs, marine museum, anything allowing me to enjoy the site and be close to my passion.:D

Thanks,

Ghislain Gaumond
Emilie-Jolie
C30TRBS 1987 #4708

Nov 5, 2008
Catalina 30 Quebec City
Sorry, meant....

Chicago, really thought there was only one US city, bearing such nickname...

Altough, Olcott/Wilson, are beautiful towns wit great yacht clubs, you be hard press to get lost there...

Jim Q. hope your sailing seasons are still filled with plenty of trophees and pennants!!!

Any Chicago advise is still welcomed!!!

Ghislain

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
The Science and Industry Museum down around 57th has a nice section on boat models through the ages along with a tour of the U505 submarine from WWII.

Both the Chicago Yacht Club and the Columbia YC are in Monroe Street Harbor and are a good visit. Columbia is on an old passenger ship now permanently moored.

Not related to sailing, but worth a visit is the "bean" sculpture in Grant Park. It is a giant stainless bean polished to mirror like finish that reflects the city skyline.

I have never been to Crowley's Chandlery, but I know they have a booth at the Stricltly Sail show each February. They may be worth a visit. They do have a boat yard. Larson Marine is another interesting spot in Waukegan about an hour north of the city.

Now Olcott is also worth a stop when the club is open in during the season.

Nov 5, 2008
Catalina 30 Quebec City
Hiigs,

Thanks for the information...will try to check some of these out tomorrow!!!

GG

Status
Not open for further replies.