Travelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
The outhaul pulls the clew of the main sail out along the boom tightening the foot. The Cunningham pulls the tack of the sail down, either by pulling down on the boom that goes into the mast, or by something similar to a reefing point on the sail at the mast, which tightens the luff of the sail.

Jun 19, 2010
Oday 23 Percy Priest TN
Ok, thanks. I think I've got an outhaul. I gotta check on the cunningham.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I consider the outhaul essential ...

it is essentially THE sail control devise for shaping the draft of the mainsail. I adjust draft depth with the outhaul for every point of sail and for every change in wind condition, especially when changing from pointing to reaching because the apparent wind condition changes radically. The cunningham is used to adjust draft positiion in conjunction with the halyard (I don't normally use it at all).

I like Todd's summary of controls but I would change the order in terms of necessity. Here is how I would prioritize:

1. Halyards, mainsheets & jib sheets are a given since every boat has to have these basics. A topping lift is also a given normally unless you have a rigid vang or some other form of rigid support for the boom.
2. A reefing set-up is essential for safety (know how to use it before you have to).
3. Adjustable headsail cars for a masthead rig. Your genoa is the most powerful engine on your boat. Being able to adjust the jib cars for twist may have the most impact on your sailing speed. If your boat is a fractional rig, your mainsail has primary consideration and you can move that priority down.
4. Adjustable outhaul. The outhaul is virtually the only control device that is used to shape the depth of draft and in combination with other controls the position of draft. Draft depth is a critical element that is adjusted with virtually every point of sail and every change in apparent wind.
5. The vang can be used in conjunction with the mainsheet to adjust twist for every point of sail.
6. The cunningham is used to affect draft position and flatten the sail under adverse conditions. It is often not used (except racers will swear by using it religiously) and many sailors neither have one, nor know what it is for.
7. The traveler is useful because it is used solely for changing the angle of attack without impacting twist. Sailors generally know how to use it and do use it but I put it lowest in priority because it is not essential when you have a mainsheet and a vang. I consider the vang more essential because once the boom is outboard from the end of the track, you have to have a vang to control twist.

Radico, your traveler position is virtually identical to mine. When you are in gusty conditions, do you 'play' the traveler or the mainsheet? It seems to me that moving the traveler means that 2 lines have to be adjusted to avoid a tangled mess and that easing the mainsheet is far simpler and more useful. Do you agree?

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
If you don't have a traveler, there's a very good chance you don't have a cunningham.

My main tack is shackled to a goose-neck that is fix in place. I have no cringle or line above the tack to adjust the luff. Best I can do is change the tension on the main halyard.

The Hunter H260 is sold as a family safe boat. It lacks most of the sail shaping controls taken for granted on other boats, which is why I created the temporary traveler I showed in my earlier post.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out Garhauer Marine for travelers. They tend to have the best equip. for the cheapest price.

You may be able to find something on Craigs List or E-bay too.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
I have #'s 1,2,4,5,7 (I think). What is an outhaul and a Cunningham?
The outhaul is the line that pulls the corner of your mainsail closer to the end of the boom. A cunningham is an adjustable line that pulls the gooseneck end of the boom (the end that attaches to the mast) straight down towards the deck.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
For you outhaul fans, what's the size of your boat and what is the maximum practical travel of your mainsail clew under normal usage? On my 37' Tartan the outhaul goes from slack to high tension in 6-12" or so. The clew doesn't really move much. It's all tension. There's also a pouched foot, so perhaps that effects the use of the outhaul. If it's different on small boats, let me know, but it seems to me that the outhaul controls draft only near the foot and the halyard/cunningham do a much better job for the bulk of the mainsail.

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Since you're new to all this, I'll give you the clear and simple reason for a traveler.

It's specific use is for upwind sailing only, and usually for racing.

When you're close hauled, or sailing as close to the wind as possible, you want the boom to be on centerline. That is, to have the back-end of the boom to be in the middle of the boat.

WITHOUT a traveler, you can come in on the mainsheet as much as you want, but the boom will always be off to the downwind or lower side of the boat.

WITH a traveler, you can tighten up the mainsheet to fill the sails nicely, and then move the traveler car up till the boom is centerline.
Then all you have to do is point the boat as high to the wind as you can without luffing the sails. THEN you'll know that that is as high as you can point the boat.

If it's just for daysailing and not racing though, and the only place to put the traveler is in the center of the cockpit, than I DON'T recommend you getting one.
It'll just get in the way. But if the traveler can be placed AFT at the very back of the boat, with the lines at the end of the boom, than a traveler is a good idea.

I highly recommend a Harken windward sheeting system.
You can move the lines simply and easily.
I won't get into why it's good here. My note is long enough!

Good sailing!
JW

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Radico, that looks like an excellent setup for a smaller boat. Having it right up against the bulkhead in the front of the cockpit keeps the cockpit clear. If you hang a small sheet bag from it the mainsheet and control lines can be stowed neatly. When not sailing the traveler can be stowed to one side allowing full access through the companionway. It appears to be a Garhauer unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.