Traveler on 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Cooper

I am looking to purchase a C 27. I have been told that the traveler in 1983 and previous was mounted at the stern and 1984 and newer mounted on the cabin top. Can anyone give me detailed info on this subject? I prefer the cabin top traveler and would help with my search for a boat to buy.

B

Bill Carroll

Traveller on 27

A year ago I bought an 1982 Catalina 27, tall rig with tiller. You may be interested to know that the Traveller is in fact ON THE TOP OF THE CABIN. Maybe the person that gave you info regarding 1983 and previous has their dates mixed up.

B

Bob Camarena

Trade-Offs

There are trade-offs to consider. The rear traveler is more accessible from the helm position and is more efficient in terms of leverage/speed/friction. Mid-boom sheeting on the cabin top clears the cockpit of all the hardware and gets the mainsheet away from your head but is less accessible for single handing and requires more purchase which equals more line in the sheet, plus more blocks equaling more friction, all of which leads to slower trimming. I had stern sheeting on my tiller C-27 and now have mid-boom sheeting on my wheel C-30. As far as sailing goes, I preferred the stern sheeting while the mid-boom sheeting is nicer at anchor. If you race, or like to single hand, stern sheeting is definitely the better choice. Also, the C-27 reacts more quickly to gusts than the C-30 and larger boats so it's nice to be able to dump the main more quickly.

H

Harry M. Cowgill

Mine is an early 1983 with cabin top travler. Not sure when that started.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Mid boom sheeting

Sorry, don't know the answer as to when they switched to mid boom sheeting but on check out the following site if you want to see a line drawing of a '77 with mid boom sheeting: www.catalina27.org/images/88bro4.jpg Looks like you'll have quite a selection of years to choose from. Bob was right about ability to dump the main quickly & singlehanding with the stern mounted traveller. I have a '73 with it & haven't had any problems with accomodating 4 people (sometimes more) in the cockpit. good luck with your search! LaDonna

R

Richard

1981 has the traveler at the back

My 1982 catalina 30 has the traveler on the cabin and it is difficult to reach from the wheel (like impossible). My 27 was so easy to single hand! I would hate the cabin mount on a 27, since most I have seen go right across the hatch so you can wack your head all the time!

P

patrick e. boole

mainsheet

i have a 27 with the stern mounted traveler and would not change to the cabin mount. i have moved my mainsheet to the end boom on my 30 because of the ability to handle the sheet . on the cabin is a drag and when you want to go downwind the ability to release the main with out relying on someone other or stepping away from the wheel says it all for me.

G

Gordon S.

Midship Traveller

My '88 C27 had cabin mounted traveller and it was a pain with manually operated stops to get the boom over centerline or above when close hauled. Last Summer I installed the Garhauer traveller sytem with a 5:1 advantage and this did the trick. (Same rig as the new Cat 30). In a knockdown gust you can quickly release the traveller cam cleat instead of trying to let out the sheet. The sail drops most the wind instantly and the boat is a pleasure to sail to windward. I just leave the sheet close hauled and move the traveller where I want it. The boat has tiller steering so I am always near enough to the cabin to reach up and adjust or release the traveler.

Status
Not open for further replies.