Traveler Installation 1983 model 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R Hoffelder

My mainsheet system is that of original design. I would like to install a traveler to increase windward preformance.The 83 has a poptop cabin that eliminates a typical installation on the cabintop above the companionway. I was thinking of fixing it to the stern rail-- any suggestions?

C

Clayton

I installed mid-boom sheeting

I found that the roller boom option was not what I needed, so I installed mid-boom sheeting. I put a padeye on the backing plate for the winch (right in the middle of the hatch) and put a boom bail (like the ones used for a boom vang) on the boom directly above the padeye. I then got a 4:1 tackle system with snap shackles for my mainsheet. This system is easy to get around for access to the cabin and when you are not under sail, you can undo the snap shackle and move the mainsheet to the lifeline to keep it and the boom out of the way. I also put a boom vang on for more control. This is not quite a traveler system, but it works for what I am doing. I have seen one M25 that had a traveler mounted across the front of the cockpit against the back of the cabin. If I recall correctly, they made some spacer blocks out of white poly plastic and ran the traveler across from port seat to starboard seat at the bottom of the hatch. Good Luck, C

G

Guy

Traveler Options

I too am considering modifying the control of my M25 (just purchased 02/02/02) I've seen a couple of decent options. One simplt involved a chunk of T rail mounted just below the companion way and mid boom sheeting set up. Another nice idea was a SS "Bail" built out of 1/2 inch round stock mounted to the transom between the stern rail stanchions angled in and just above the tiller. I wasn't able to determine what type of locking mechanism was used on the block. For performance I would go with the mid boom system. If comfort and ez access below are desired, keep it off the stearn. Good luck and once I install on mine I'll post detail and pics!

M

Michael

Traveler Installation

I have a 1985 Mac 25. Installed a traveler. Located in the cockpit as you enter the cabin. The low sill area between the seats. Used a harken mainsheet arrangement and attached it to the boom about 2/3's back. I took the original main sheet and brought it under the back cockpit railing and attached it to the rear backstay which I shortened by swagging. This (technically) gives you an ajustable backstay, which I never adjust. The traveler simple track with rope pulls, nothing fancy, use compression blocks on the area at seat level to secure. When I did the backstay, I also put in a topping lift. This arrangement does give you more control on the boom and sail. In port I move the traveler to the side to make entry into the cabin easier. However, it is not as intrusive as you think and not a problem to go down below underway. In some instances the sheet is a great place to grab. This arrangement also frees up the mainsheet interfering with your sitting position in the back of the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.