TRAVELER: DIY or For Sale??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Hi again! :dance:

I'm thinking of a traveler system for my 22-foot Mac. Where is there something I can read to learn what components they are made of, and how they work?

Any DIY plans available?

Anybody got a working unit for sale?

VBR,

Pat

Oct 17, 2008
Macgregor Venture 25 Great Salt Lake & Willard Bay
I'm interested in doing the same on my Venture 25. Let us know if you find any info elsewhere.

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
DYI Traveler

I built a bridge type traveler over my cabin on my 96X. Got most of the parts, including special made SS bridge legs, off of eBay. Most items were used already so relatively cheap. Put the unit on 1" track so it can slide out of the way when not sailing. Works great and improves control of mainsail shape. Look traveler systems by Harken or Schaefer to get ideas of what you want to do. It is difficult to mix and match components when making your own system.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
where do V22's main sheet attach? end or mid boom?

I've never seen an end boom traveler...

-IMHO, go sailing, and hold off on the traveler... it helps, but not required to sail.
(have you even been out on it yet?)

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
where do V22's main sheet attach? end or mid boom?

I've never seen an end boom traveler...

-IMHO, go sailing, and hold off on the traveler... it helps, but not required to sail.
(have you even been out on it yet?)
Aft end of the boom.

Haven't had it wet yet: too busy working. Vacation in May; hope to dunk it then. Retiring in September, so in any event it won't be long till we're sailing.

That's about where I'm at with it now: just get it sailing without building aft rails or a traveler; but I think I'd like a traveler eventually, to clear the aft rails I'm building. So I'm looking into all available options.

Anybody know where there's a diagram or tutorial on how they work, or how to build one?

VBR,

Pat

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.....Anybody know where there's a diagram or tutorial on how they work, or how to build one?

VBR,

Pat
I built .....

....ours, but have a mill and lathe and TIG. Here is the link....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-14.html

and...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-15.html

Like others have said you can piece one together or buy a complete one and using google will give you some idea on how to use one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0wfGzhlRhI

The traveler isn't going to be a night or day difference in use and definitely not a must have,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
I built .....
....ours, but have a mill and lathe and TIG. Here is the link....
Like others have said you can piece one together or buy a complete one and using google will give you some idea on how to use one....
The traveler isn't going to be a night or day difference in use and definitely not a must have,
Sum
Bingo! That tells me what I needed to know. Thanks, Sum!

The traveler may not be a "must have", but I think I might need one because the often severe ocean conditions here make me want to build a set of aft safety rails, and in doing the layout it looks like the end-of-boom arrangement I have will put the main sheets in contact with the railing when running downwind.

That might not be a problem; but if it is, I was hoping the traveler would eliminate it.

I already bought the stainless railing materials and parts. I'm going to sail the boat in the breakwater without the aft railing (that's how she was built) and see how it goes.

If I do decide to build a traveler, your photo-tutorial will sure help. I don't have the tools you have (see me glow envy green :D) but now that I see how you built yours, maybe I can Frankenstein one together out of available parts, as the others have.

As always, many thanks for the help. Hope you and Ruthie are enjoying your boat. I hope to have mine in the water by the end of May. :dance:

VBR,

Pat

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Thanks to all for the help; but can anyone answer the main question for me? (It's at the heart of whether I need a traveler or not.)

I haven't got the boat in the water yet, but it seems like if there's an aft railing installed, the leeward main sheet will contact it when the boat's on a beam-to-broad reach, and when running downwind.

It seems to me the windward sheet will be taught, and the leeward sheet will be comparitively slack, and just bending over the rail without a whole lot of force or friction. So maybe the leeward sheet contacting the stainless steel rail (shooth and polished) won't present a problem in terms of friction, line wear, etc. But I haven't tried it yet so I don't know.

(Seems like something Mac boats with aft railing and boom-wnd mounted main sheets would have experienced in the past. No?)

So: Is contact between the aft / side rail and the leeward sheet when sailing on a beam-to-broad reach, or running downwind, necessarily a major problem; or do people often do that without any trouble?

VBR,

Pat

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Reading your posts as carefully as I can I wonder if you have the mainsheet system psyched out properly. Windward sheet? looard sheet? 2 main sheets? Slack in the looard sheet? Well I don't know it all and haven't seen everything but I never have saw that.

The old Ventures (and some other boats) had a screwball sheet system (to me) where it started on one corner thence up to the boom thence to the other corner thence back up to the boom thence down to the first corner thence to your hot little hand. (Left hand!) It acted as a combination sheet, traveler, inhaul, downhaul and experienced sailer aggravater.

It formed an upside down "V" between the rear corners and the boom. The tension would be constant thruout that rope system - from the first corner thence etc to your hot little (left) hand and there would not be slack on the looard side.

I've a friend with a V22-2 like that. He likes it. LIKES it!!??? I've even seen him sail it in a wopping 3 mph wind. Shees!

Anyway better have someone check it out or post a pic.

After all that happy horse manuer you can start (just to see how it goes and get a feel for it for quick and cheep) with a simple rope travelor across the rear corners and use a 3:1 block system (boom end) on that main, its identical to the V21 main and 3:1 is sufficient. With a ratchet block you can even hold it between the thumb and forefinger of your (left) hand.
Yes, the sheets form an inverted V as you described. I called the one on the side the boom is swung toward the leeward sheet, and the other one the windward sheet only to differentiate between them. Please disregard the "slack" issue.

Let me put it this way:

If I make and install an aft railing sytem, it looks like, with the boom swung far to port, the portside sheet will make contact with the portside aft railing. With the boom swung far to starboard, the starboard sheet contacts the starboard rail.

I'd like to know if that's going to be a serious problem, or something I'll be able to sail with.

Thanks.

VBR,

Pat

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Nemo, My boat was built with the stern railing, the original mainsheet hits the rail when running downwind, but it's no big deal. With the size of the cockpit and the tiller, the midboom setup that I have is the most convenient, and given the size of the rig, the boom seems plenty strong for the midboom attachment point.
I used the Harken high rail track with the slot in the bottom so I could put the screws where I wanted, car with toggles to mount the blocks, and end controls with the cleats built in. Wedge pads and fairleads on the cleats finish the system.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Nemo, My boat was built with the stern railing, the original mainsheet hits the rail when running downwind, but it's no big deal. With the size of the cockpit and the tiller, the midboom setup that I have is the most convenient, and given the size of the rig, the boom seems plenty strong for the midboom attachment point.
I used the Harken high rail track with the slot in the bottom so I could put the screws where I wanted, car with toggles to mount the blocks, and end controls with the cleats built in. Wedge pads and fairleads on the cleats finish the system.
Many mahalos, Timo. As always, your info is exactly what I needed. :dance:

I didn't think the rail / sheet contact would be a big deal, but just wanted to hear that from someone experienced with that situation. You da man! :yeah:

Been looking at online pics of many similar rigs last night: doesn't seem to be a problem for them, so I think it will be OK for me, too. For starters, at least.

Again: thanks for your help, braddah! :)

VBR,

Pat

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hi again! :dance:

I'm thinking of a traveler system for my 22-foot Mac. Where is there something I can read to learn what components they are made of, and how they work?

Any DIY plans available?

Anybody got a working unit for sale?

VBR,

Pat
Hey Bruddah: I bought mine years ago from Harken. All the hardware manufacuturers, lewmar etc. make one type or another. Go on line and check out what they have. Also check West Marine. Make sure you reinforce under the deck. Lots of pressure there. You will need a six legged bale for the mid boom and a good 4 to 1 block and tackle with a cam cleat. Also your cockpit seats cant a bit outboard so you will need to make some shims. Sumner should go into business. You could lift his whole boat with that thing. Good job sumner. Timo has all the right parts but I think you can buy the whole thing as one unit. I'd like to be there with you on christening day. Fair Winds and Full Sails.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Freedom, most of the kits I saw were for bigger boats, and even if you bought the kit, you still would be assembling the pieces anyway. I found several parts on Ebay, bought some locally, and the rest from Mauripro, you could give my list to our host and get a "kit price" I am sure. The only parts I had a little trouble sourcing were the metric bolts that fit into the track, found them at an industrial hardware store. As far as the mainsheet attachment to the boom, haven't had any issue with the single point setup, the holes were already drilled in the boom when I bought the boat, oem? Maybe add another bail if you are worried about it.

Oct 17, 2008
Macgregor Venture 25 Great Salt Lake & Willard Bay
Pat
I have the setup you describe. 1979 V25 with full stern rail (approx 24" tall) and the end boom sheeting. Been that way and sailed fine for the 3 yrs I've had her. However, I am looking into mid boom sheeting mainly because the end boom sheet combined with the rail and the split backstay make using the ladder I mounted off the stern like performing a circus act. I'd also like to get a bimini, but end boom sheeting seems like it would be in the way. I'll try to get some pics showing the "interfearance" of the rail on the sheets when I get a chance.
Cheers
Chip

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
not sure how I do a end boom traveler.... do you have a pop top?

but do they ship:
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP80811508.htm?utm_medium=productsearch&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_content={adtype}

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Freedom, most of the kits I saw were for bigger boats, and even if you bought the kit, you still would be assembling the pieces anyway. I found several parts on Ebay, bought some locally, and the rest from Mauripro, you could give my list to our host and get a "kit price" I am sure. The only parts I had a little trouble sourcing were the metric bolts that fit into the track, found them at an industrial hardware store. As far as the mainsheet attachment to the boom, haven't had any issue with the single point setup, the holes were already drilled in the boom when I bought the boat, oem? Maybe add another bail if you are worried about it.
Hey Timo, Good point. I guess in '76 I was able to find the complete kit a Noya Marine in MDR aka the Merchant of Venice. He has since gone belly up. What part of L.A. are you in? Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Status
Not open for further replies.