Traveler bar

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
What's the deal with a tiny 2' traveler bar in my boat? Is 1' in either direction, adding twist gonna really help me sail up winds? Is it mainly used for light wind? Do I really need a traveler car? I have these old circular clamps to keep my main sheet shackle in line but in heavy winds I would be afraid to mess with it. 1974 Catalina
ExplainItToMeLikeIAm5
Also, what is the name of those steel o clamps?

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That's a pretty old school simple traveller.

A traveller gives you more control over sail shape. A main sheet alone has to control both the vertical tension on the sail, i.e., holding the boom down and the angle of the sail to the midline of the boat.

With a traveller, the angle of the mainsail to the boat is controlled by the traveller and the vertical tension on the boom by the main sheet.

Controlling the mainsail with the traveller and main sheet allows for better sail trim and more efficient (faster) sailing.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Can't tell from the picture where the traveler is mounted. Those clamps are so rudimentary they probably don't have a name. It seems they are only placed to limit the amount of travel on your traveler. 2' isn't very much for sure. I suspect that the only purpose would be so that you can bring the traveler up high enough to get the boom to centerline when the mainsheet is drawn relatively tight. If you have a fixed position on the centerline, you can never get the boom to centerline no matter how hard you sheet in on the main sheet.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I would call the clamps stops. That's what they are - to stop the mainsheet from going any further. Attaching port & starboard tackles to the sliding shackle on the bar might provide better control and enable you to center the boom upwind in light air, as Scott suggests. You'd need to install padeyes or some fitting for the other end of the tackles. This might be tricky, depending upon where the traveler is. You haven't said what kind of boat it is - Catalina was probably making 15 different designs in 1974. Or is it a '72?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The stops are exactly what their name implies, to stop the "traveler car" from sliding too far on the traveler "bar" and jamming at the bend. However, the gist of gtg's post was to complain about the very small range of the C22 traveler and the resulting lack of the device's usefulness. You're used to that super wide beach cat traveler track.... that you have to swing the tiller around behind the car when you turn. Can't do that with a backstay though... so this deal was C22 designer's solution. I know, lame.
GTG, you can certainly get along without that ridiculous traveler by using your vang to control twist and employing the sheet to handle the angle of attack.... which is what a normal traveler would serve. There are other solutions, googling for inspiration may yield some surprising results. From a raised, cockpit spanning track system, to a mid boom sheeting system, even to a twin mainsheet set up... let your imagination be your guide. You might even come up with something so creative other C22 sailors will be knocking down your door to copy it.