Traveler - 222?

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
Has anyone successfully installed a stern position traveler of the main sail sheet rigging on a O’Day 222. If so, do you have any photo you would be willing to share?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Waitewigmail... See you recently joined our forum family.

1592233474198.png

From the diagram it looks to me pretty straight forward. Can you expand on your dilemma? What type of problem are you having? Pictures are always helpful.

Some of us have played with more than one boat. We understand the basic of rigging. While we might not be fully versed on the rigging of a 3 masted square rigger, the end mast to transom system employed by your sloop is typical of many boats that size.

John

Jun 14, 2020
O'day 222 Moored at a lakelot
Has anyone successfully installed a stern position traveler of the main sail sheet rigging on a O’Day 222. If so, do you have any photo you would be willing to share?
There's two 222 boats with several YouTube of themselves competing (PYC and Islander) in races. They have both made several mods including a rear travelor for both I believe. If you pause at the right times you should be able to see what they have done. Example : see first 5 or so minutes of this one

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Mid-cockpit location seems most common on the 222, that avoids getting in the way of the tiller best. Otherwise Traveler would need to be on risers at transom corners to clear tiller, can be done that way, but seems easier to go mid-cockpit. Here was how my Late ,great friend Joe Alves (TRINKA) had his 222 rigged.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
Mid-cockpit location seems most common on the 222, that avoids getting in the way of the tiller best. Otherwise Traveler would need to be on risers at transom corners to clear tiller, can be done that way, but seems easier to go mid-cockpit. Here was how my Late ,great friend Joe Alves (TRINKA) had his 222 rigged.
Very helpful. They are very cumbersome mid cockpit and make it very inconvenient to move around. I am going to forgo the performance for my type of sailIng.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
I will soon be installing a rear mounted traveller (on my 23-1) using a teak and SS bridge I built last year. It mounts to the ends of the coamings which I have reinforced by filling them with epoxy (quite a trick since one is essentially filling an upside down bowl). I also created a new tiller which pivots ahead of the traveller (rather than from the rudder head) so that it can swing up when needed. I will post pictures and more details when I have the bridge mounted. Need to finish other boat work first. The desire to have an aft-mounted traveller is one that has been discussed several times on the forum and I think a few others have done it as well. It's not a minor project but for me it is worth it.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You *could* do it with a raised bridge traveler across the transom. However, bolting it down would be interesting. You'd probably have to install an inspection port in the fuel locker. I've thought and thought, and I don't want one across the cockpit. I don't car for shin knockers, and I like to lay out full on my seats, so that's out.

Considering the boat isn't designed to be a super performance boat anyway, or point super high, I have just decided to use an easily adjustable topping lift to vang sheet and set main twist. On lighter days when I need to squeeze by something, I will pull the boom to the centerline by hand, get myself a degree or two of pointing.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Considering the boat isn't designed to be a super performance boat anyway, or point super high,
That is the correct outlook for this situation. Adding a traveler will accomplish very little in term of performance. There is also something to be said about the benefits of simplicity.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
That is the correct outlook for this situation. Adding a traveler will accomplish very little in term of performance. There is also something to be said about the benefits of simplicity.
To each their own. It has not been my experience that adding a traveler, to a small cruising sailboat, accomplishes very little in terms of performance. As for myself, I like the idea of even a mild-mannered cruising boat being able to sail as well as its design allows. But I do realize that it is not a change that would matter to everyone.

Last edited:
May 12, 2010
O'Day 222 Alexandria, VA
Good question and Wonderful conversation by all. I considered a traveler on my 222 but decided against it. I did however add a simple device in conjunction with my boom vang, it's called a "BoomKicker" which certainly helps light wind sailing as it fits just inches below the boom vang and parallel to it. It is preset to slighly raise the boom up and supports it with two fiber rods so that the leach of the sail in light winds does not pull too tight and helps keep the sail in a proper shape foil. In this respect it does perform a function "like" a traveler when in light winds you would have it positioned well to windward to that the forces on the boom are more horizontal and less downward in order to effect the same improvement to the sail foil shape. In heavier wind it basically does nothing to improve sail shape. When stowing the boat, it supports the boom nicely also.
Cheers,
Eric

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
These are all great conversations and input. Because I am on a inland lake 2,500 acres there is a lot of tacking. So, I have decided to hold off on this feature. Thanks for the input.