Transporting outboard on a bike rack?

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
I just bought a 2.5hp outboard that weighs about 37lbs. I will be using it on a small inflatable dinghy. I do not have a trailer and plan to transport the dinghy deflated in my car. That brings up the issue of transporting the outboard. I have a bike rack that can hold two bikes with a combined weight of about double the outboard. I am thinking about securing a 2x6 board to the bike rack, as shown by the red lines in the picture, and using it to transport the outboard. I've seen pictures of something similar using a hitch mounted bike rack to transport an outboard.

IMG_1553.JPG

Has anyone tried this? Any reason it's a bad idea?

Thanks,
Andy

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I like it sounds great even test start if air cooled before put on boat and run out fuel by running on board afterward

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m thinking this is an “original idea” :)

If the weight is less than the two bikes the rack or attachment points to the car should be OK.

How securely will the 2x6 be attached (think of looking in rear view and NOT seeing the motor ! ) If you are going to drill the rack to attach the 2x6 it could weaken the rack!

Will the motor make contact with the bumper - scratches.

Will you park anywhere where someone might walk away with the motor?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thank goodness...I thought you were going to put it on a rack on a bike! Your idea is way better:facepalm:

Greg

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like a plausible idea.
I do not think I would stop at a restaurant to get a cup of coffee with the motor there. It may not be there when you come back to the car.
That said if the motor hangs properly and the board can be attached to the bike rack with out compromising the rack, it might even save your car from getting scratched by one of the bike pedals.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I just bought a 2.5hp outboard that weighs about 37lbs. I will be using it on a small inflatable dinghy. I do not have a trailer and plan to transport the dinghy deflated in my car. That brings up the issue of transporting the outboard. I have a bike rack that can hold two bikes with a combined weight of about double the outboard. I am thinking about securing a 2x6 board to the bike rack, as shown by the red lines in the picture, and using it to transport the outboard. I've seen pictures of something similar using a hitch mounted bike rack to transport an outboard.

View attachment 186962

Thanks,
Andy
I don't supppose that is a city or county name on the bottom of your license plate? Geneology search

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think it might work OK, if the OB clears the ground sufficiently for your trip. I'd mount it as high as possible and put the wood on the car side of the bike rack, it the motor will fit that way. Much less tress on the tubes and bolts.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My biggest concern would be the bottom end touching your bumper. I suppose an easy solution would be to wrap the lower end in a towel or foam. I used to put my 4hp in the back of my SUV fairly often. Two-stroke with on board fuel tank. Never any issues with it leaking fluids.

If you have a hitch do yourself a favor and pickup one of those hitch baskets. Worth their weight in gold. Used it to carry a larger outboards. Menards has them for less than $50

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
2-hole rigid conduit straps to bolt the board to the frame rather than trying to drill through the vertical tubing to secure it to the rack. It will work just fine even if the motor was 4 times is heavy as it is mostly because all of the vertical load would be carried by the bumper anyway.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks everyone. I would not drill the tubes but would use something like this to attach the board. 1606774168627.png

And it's a good point about clearance for the bottom end and prop. I'll need to check that carefully.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Ubolts can weaken tubing if too tight. Also check to make sure the clamp screws can’t rub or bump the lift gate when you go over bumps.

PS - I‘ve always carried my dinghy outboard laying down in the back of the car. Like @Project_Mayhem advised, just make sure it’s oriented with proper side down as per the manufacturer spec.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Like @Project_Mayhem advised, just make sure it’s oriented with proper side down as per the manufacturer spec.
My Tohatsu was really picky about orientation. I'm guessing it caused air to get into the carb or fuel line.

I think a 2x4 and u-bolts will work nicely