Transport recommendation

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I have no affiliation with this company but wanted to share this with anyone considering a boat relocation. We purchased a boat out of state and just had it transported this week to it's new home in Illinois. We used Sailors Moving Sailors to complete the move. A fellow club member recommended them after having them move his boat earlier this year. I chose SMS because they provided the complete package to move our 33.5 and cradle. They did an exceptional job completing the move on time, treated the boat like it was their own, communicated with us throughout the entire process, removed and reinstalled the mast and water launched us at the end. I can't say enough about the professionalism and expertise demonstrated throughout the entire move. For those of you who are shopping transport companies give them call. They are located near Nashville, TN.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
nice to hear of a good local boat mover. i can highly NOT recommend 'uShip' which advertises itself as a national load board' where shipper customers can post requirements for bids which are then accepted by a hauler. using uShip got me a hauler who was a no show on a vehicle transport from seattle to the great lakes. it's far better to go w a local who is reliable.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: uship haulers

As with many activities we often have different experiences due to different haulers' skills and reliability. We have had 3 sailboats moved since the first one in 2001. Each time we chose the mover from those who responded to our request for a quote through uship. We chose neither the first quote nor the cheapest quote. Two of those movers were local to the pick up and/or the destination locations, and we were present for both the loading and the unloading process. The other mover was delivering a different boat to our pick up location, and due to distance and timing we were not able to supervise the preparation of the boat for loading or the loading itself. All communication was done via phone calls to the marina. We were on hand for the delivery and unloading of that boat.

The first move was from a marina to our home for 9 months of rehab. We used the same mover in 2002 when we had that boat transported to the marina where we sailed it. In those cases I acted as driver of a placard vehicle during both moves.

All three boats arrived safely and within a reasonable time (a few hours) of when they were promised.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Glad to hear the high recommendation for Sailors moving Sailors. There hauling my 28 Precision next week from NJ to Fl.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
alas i am sad to report that the shipper i had contracted with, in writing, thru uShip for a my haul 'between labor day and oct 15 2020' quit communicating, after i paid uShip in full on 9/6. (delivery by 10-15 was essential since on lake erie we have freezes by halloween .) once you contract w shipper #1, uShip doesn't allow a refund unless shipper cancels-- not me as consignor. by oct 17 there was still no word of boat delivery date. on 10-18 shipper emailed 'i will not be able to complete this contract.' so shipper #1 left us high and dry, failed to communicate then failed to complete the delivery contract. our out of pocket costs for an alternate delivery ---which was completed nov 2.--- is now $3000 more than the #1 shipper's contract. and I'm still waiting for my $$$ refund from uShip. i'm not happy...

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
i reluctantly admit that a lawsuit may be in shipper #1's future.