Transport Costs?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Anyone have experience in transport recently? Have a quote for 30ft. (only response thus far).
Includes all tolls/insurance/wide load permits. Boat is 30x11, 6ft draft at 8500lbs. And 50ft mast no cradle/no stands (I am saving that topic for another thread). Transport is 900mi NH to MI. $7800

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
That seems to be high, but that may be because the hauler is restricted from traveling through Canada and has to go around, through the US.
Why don’t you try to find a boat here in Michigan and save the transit cost and damage risk?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I had my 28 foot Precision shipped from NJ to Florida last November. I believe the total was $4,800. That included mast removal and raising again. PM me if you want the company name.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Lockport marina in lockport ny did a good haul some years ago, dont know if they’re still in business. Make sure yr shipper specs a lowbelly trailer for that keel. And i would not trust quotes thru the shipboards like uship.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Thanks, Just trying to get a response can be maddening. @Hydro Therapy put in request for quote but no answer on your source so far. :(

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
It took a week or two to get my quote. He transports He delivers 1 boat per week and is on the road for days.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
in 07 we shipped a nauticat 321 tallmast 62' w 5.3 m keel on its custom stand from stamford CT to erie PA -- $3400. the selling brokerage , prestige yachts stamford CT, recommended a hauler. the 1st hauler truck showed up with the wrong (non-lowbelly) trailer. then it was 2 weeks delay to book the right one.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Really like the setup saikors hauling sailors has. Unfortubately they are unavailable the time I need to haul. Going with a local hauler, and cost wasnt too bad. Just south of 6k.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Lot of boats are built in MI.. Maybe find one that is transporting to New England and see if they would back haul..

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I used Boat Logistics out of Montague, MI for a Michigan to Florida move, and was very happy with their service and price - Boat Logistics - Moving Any Boat, Anytime!. That said, the truck price was around $8K, but that's not including yard expenses which many people forget: crane time (both ends of trip, plus mast lifts), several days yard time on both ends, boat prep which you may be able to do partially yourself, all which added about $7K. Your travel expenses as you supervise the whole thing or prep the boat may be another $1-2 K. I'm probably forgetting something. Prep tasks: removing & prepping mast, mast re-install and rig tuning, taping everything down for a hurricane force wind for 24 hours, removing everything that will raise the on-truck height over 13.5 ft. (including the binnacle?), securing everything in the saloon, etc., so add a few day's labor for your time. I chose not to move the cradle, The boat was not damaged in any way on the move.

Personally, I'm with @DougM - Unless that particular boat is critical (unique antique or emotionally meaningful), I would sell and buy in Michigan. You are swimming upstream because Michigan has a net outflow of people. There are tons of pre-owned 30+ foot sailboats on the Lakes that have never seen salt, other than the rim of a Margarita glass. Older sailors are retiring from sailing and you can pickup a bargain. Use that $15K + to upgrade the sails and electronics on a Michigan boat, and you'll have a better deal. Looking back, I think I broke even because I knew my boat and had just upgraded everything before my move, but it was probably not a wise decision.
Your boat, your choice. :beer:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hire Captain Ron. Coast of NE, up the Hudson, cross the Erie Canal, and a few lakes.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Boat is on a lake, fresh water. So nobsailing back. Boat Logistics is doing the move, so good to hear on positive experience. @Parsons , sound advice in your response. Impatience was my downfall, the market is starting to open up now, but I also had a long list of criteria, this meets almost all. Esp. Necessary uogrades and maintenance.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think I see the confusion! Where is the boat coming from? Lake Winnipesaukee? You are on Lake Michigan, no? Since NH has a coastline, I'm thinking that some people don't really understand where your "inland lake" comes into play. I was confused, too, especially with your reference to Trent Severn. It sounded like transporting by waterway could be an option. I'd be extremely thrilled for a reason to see Thousand Islands at the source of the SL Seaway, then hopping into Georgian Bay and skipping across at the northern tip of the lower peninsula! So, what if you got a transport from NH to Burlington, VT! :biggrin:

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I think I see the confusion! Where is the boat coming from? Lake Winnipesaukee? You are on Lake Michigan, no?
...... So, what if you got a transport from NH to Burlington, VT! :biggrin:
You have it correct. Fireworks is a FRESHWATER BOAT! Sticker shock for transport definitely put transport to the nearest waterway with access to the great lakes in scope. Even fantasies of delivering her on her own keel. But being a new to me boat, new waterways.. i made the more conservative option. In the end, things are finally coming together.