Transom to hull crack

sven7

Nov 16, 2020
beneteau 343 Chocowinity
just found this crack in the transom to hull joint of 2007 343. crack is about 14 inches overall and is about scan 1/8 open in center fading to hairline left and right. has anyone experienced this and how was it addressed thanks for any input

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That is where the hull pan and the deck pan are joined together with some (epoxy?) goop of some sort. My 323 - and others- have a rubber u-shaped piece that should slide over that joint, and run from toe rail to toe rail at the top of the transom.

Edit to add: I've seen that piece advertised somewhere recently, so maybe in the SBO gear for sale?

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
That is where the hull pan and the deck pan are joined together with some (epoxy?) goop of some sort. My 323 - and others- have a rubber u-shaped piece that should slide over that joint, and run from toe rail to toe rail at the top of the transom.

Edit to add: I've seen that piece advertised somewhere recently, so maybe in the SBO gear for sale?
It looks like the OP has pulled off the rubber bumper to expose the crack. If it's not leaking into the boat, you should be able to dry it out, squirt some expoxy in there and clamp it shut. Curious why it would fail like that, maybe the factory didn't get a good bond in that spot.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
The transom is molded as part of the deck and is attached to the hull with Goop (as Ron20324 indicated). That looks like either the boat backed into something hard or someone drove into it. The problem with the photo is, it looks like the crack is not equal across the split. May be some delamination
happening ? Whats it look like from the other side? Does the crack go all the way through?

sven7

Nov 16, 2020
beneteau 343 Chocowinity
Thanks no visible sign of crack from inside but it is a thru crack; do have small leak when underway and transom edge is below waterline. plan on cleaning out crack then use epoxy in the crack then slip rubber rail back in place. turns out several boat builders had very similar problems; incomplete bonding of the 2 surfaces in this area.