transom reinforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamacm

Nov 24, 2010
oday 25 bayville,nj
my transom is weak. i plan to use a 15 hp 2cycle outboard and want to reinforce the transom. i plan to blow in expansion foam or drill 2 inch holes and stuff with guerilla hair. what are your suggestions ?

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
You mean your transom core is rotted? If it is you need to remove the old core and reglass in a new one.
If its just flexing from the weight, try a stainless backing plate inside the hull.

JackJ

Feb 26, 2004
ODay 25 Southport NC
I am replacing a rotted core on my ODay 25 today. I used a dremel tool with a cutoff disc to cut out the inner skin of the transom.Next I will glass in some new 1/2 inch plywood. The job is dirty and uncomfortable but not really hard. Since you can work from under the cockpit no one will see the quality of the glass work(a good thing for me). As long as it is sturdy and strong it doesnt have to be pretty!

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
my transom is weak. i plan to use a 15 hp 2cycle outboard and want to reinforce the transom. i plan to blow in expansion foam or drill 2 inch holes and stuff with guerilla hair. what are your suggestions ?
------------------- // ---------------------

Get 1/2" marine plywood and remove all bolts
on the inside and measure and cut in complete
piece. The outer edge of piece should be
sealed with epoxy to prevent water intrusion.

After new structure is glassed in and covered
with layer of glass inside, drill holes to rebolt.
Each hole should be slightly larger than needed.
Coat entire inside of bolt hole with epoxy and
drill to correct size.

Now you will have a reinforced Transom.

Ed K
addenda:
"Two friends went on a week long deep sea fishing trip. By the time they paid for their boat, captain and crew, rods and other equipment, they had spent a fortune. On the first day, they didn't catch a single fish. It also happened on the second, and even on the third day. It went on like this until finally on the last day, one of the men caught one small fish. While heading back to the marina, they were discussing their misfortune. When one friend said to the other, "Do you realize that this one lousy fish cost us six thousand dollars?" "Wow!" said the other, "It's a good thing we didn't catch any more!"

Status
Not open for further replies.