transom mount trnsducer on 272

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
HI
I have a 1989 272 with inboard. I bougth a garmin 90dv chartplottr/gps that comes with a transom mount. Has anyone used a transom mounted transducer with good results. I worried the transom is too high to keep the transducer under water enough top properler work. Any help is appreciated.
thanks
Paul donelan "BEAM'

want to let you know I sanded a spot under 1/4 berth and tried the transom tranducer dry "nothing" I then ''buried'' the unit in two toilet wax rings. for about an hour the depth was blank but THEN it worked! been accurate for a week now so hope for the best.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had success using a transom transducer inside the hull shooting through it. We bedded it in some silicone and got good readings from it. If you Google in-hull transducer mounting you'll see a lot of different techniques with different bedding options.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
+1 to what davidasailor26 said.

We used a transom mount transducer just inboard of the wooden access panel that is in the entry to the quarterberth. Initially, I just let the transducer set on the inside of the hull with no "adhesive" to see whether the location was OK and avoided the wing of the keel. It was fine. Recently, I used about half of a Bee Wax plumbing ring to secure the transducer. That application was a sticky mess to use, so it is one of those projects I won't be likely to repeat! I have used the silicone adhering method and liked it better. I also used a lightly built swinging TV mount to attach the GPS face to the port side of the main hatch area so we could swing the GPS out into the opening for use and swing it back inside the cabin when the boat is closed. That works very and allows a location to mount a remote speaker for the VHF radio.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I just picked up a GPS/Depth unit for my 240. To cold to mess with it now but I did poke around in the boat to look for a spot to mount the transom mount ducer. I like the opening in the quarter birth as mentioned by 31 Seahorse. The 240 is the baby sister to the 272.

Has anyone used epoxy to secure the ducer? If so advantages or disadvantages when compared to silicone.

I used silicone on a previous boat. The ducer kept losing its grip due to items in the storage area banging into it.

Thanks

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Your 240 is good looking.....we have the 272 LE...bought it new in a blizzard in 1987 and still enjoy every time I'm on it......I enjoyed your pictures. My wife is from Ct. Enjoy the sailing this year !
Pat

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I just picked up a GPS/Depth unit for my 240. To cold to mess with it now but I did poke around in the boat to look for a spot to mount the transom mount ducer. I like the opening in the quarter birth as mentioned by 31 Seahorse. The 240 is the baby sister to the 272. Has anyone used epoxy to secure the ducer? If so advantages or disadvantages when compared to silicone. I used silicone on a previous boat. The ducer kept losing its grip due to items in the storage area banging into it. Thanks
i used epoxy in a Catalina 25. Worked great only downside is removal if it ever fails but an oscillating tool will solve that easily.

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 272 Brownstown, MI - Lake Erie Metro Park Marina
Paul, We will be attempting the application of our "cigar style" transducer this spring. I will probably encase in wax in an opening under the rear berth (storage area) of our 1988 Oday 272. The transducer is part of our combo GPS, Dept, Fish finder, Bottom contour unit. Purchased because it was a "Great" buy and I only needed the GPS...
Presently we have the typical Faria dept sounder with the "In-Hull Transducer". Transducer is encased with a sealed cup filled with antifreeze.
I will use the GPS unit transducer as a redundant system and to view the great depths and bottom contour of Lake Erie?

Regards, John

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Paul....I did not mention that I used only the transducer portion. I did not attach the plastic part that would have been used to attach to the transom. I guess you would figure that out, but thought I would mention it here.

John....RE: the sealed cup of antifreeze. Can you explain a bit about that method? I had tried a piece of schedule 40 pipe cleanout fitting with a screw in cap about 4 or 6 inches in diameter with mineral oil in it. However, I did not like any of the methods I tried to attach it to the hull.

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
transducer

Paul, We will be attempting the application of our "cigar style" transducer this spring. I will probably encase in wax in an opening under the rear berth (storage area) of our 1988 Oday 272. The transducer is part of our combo GPS, Dept, Fish finder, Bottom contour unit. Purchased because it was a "Great" buy and I only needed the GPS...
Presently we have the typical Faria dept sounder with the "In-Hull Transducer". Transducer is encased with a sealed cup filled with antifreeze.
I will use the GPS unit transducer as a redundant system and to view the great depths and bottom contour of Lake Erie?

Regards, John
Thanks for the info I bought a garmin 70 dv and have the same issue. I have a 272 and thought of mounting it on the bottom of the prop bracket. Garmin thought that would work.
I'd make a fiberglass shim to get it flat. Lefing it in the rear bilge would be SO much easier. Do you think you would get any use of the DV feature?
By the way saw some pictures of modifications that you did and they looked great! Nice boat
thanks
Paul "the Beam"

Nov 1, 2010
Seahorse, The transducer comes with a plastic pipe that incorporates a contoured flange that you silicone in place to the hull. Let it set for 24 hrs. fill with a glycol (antifreeze) product then lock in the transducer that is part of a sealed cap unit. The key is to get the transducer amerced in a liquid to disguise the hull and direct the sonar signals thru the fiberglass to the sea bed! The Glycol is used to provide freeze protection...
Regards, John

Mar 1, 2014
O'Day 272 MI
Happy Dolphin,

I am a brand new O'Day 272 owner in SE Michigan. If you have a moment, I would like to speak with you regarding some of the things you have done on your boat. Regards,

susanchristine

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Epoxy is a bit drastic for an in hull transducer install. Using toilet bowl wax or silicone is what I recommend. Justsomeguy enhanced the wax concept by putting a short section of plastic pipe around his transducer to inhibit accidental displacement of the transducer.
Chief, EE, sonar,radar,comm

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I used plumber's putty to bed mine. Works a charm and now I know what plumber's putty is.

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma

Regards, John
Hi John
Wondering if you tried mounting the transducer the way you were thinking.
haven't done anything mayself yet. Let me know if you did
thanks
Paul

Nov 1, 2010
Paul, I did apply the cigar shaped transducer in toilet wax... Boat still on the hard should place into H2O in the next couple of weeks! 80 F in SE Michigan today and Gibraltar Boat Yard was was a busy fun place to tinker...
Regards, John

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
transducer

Paul, I did apply the cigar shaped transducer in toilet wax... Boat still on the hard should place into H2O in the next couple of weeks! 80 F in SE Michigan today and Gibraltar Boat Yard was was a busy fun place to tinker...
Regards, John
thanks John
Let me know what you think when you hit the water. You DEFINITELY have the weather
thanks
paul

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Did this installations work out with the DV sonar?

Regards, John
Did this method work out with the downvue (I assume that is what the DV is in our post). How is the resolution? Do you have any pictures of it in operation?
Thanks in advance