Transom Ladder Required?

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Hi, Everyone. I bought a 1981 O'day 22 a year ago and it didn't come with a permanently affixed transom ladder. My previous dinghy didn't require a ladde so I'm not that familiar. It did come with a hook style ladder that can be placed on the transom. Do I need to invest in the permanent style? I understand they provide safety if I go overboard. I'd like to hear some experienced sailors' opinions. Thank you.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
the hook type are worthless in my opinion - very difficult to board using them, and any ladder you should be able to pull down so you have at least 2 steps in the water, while you are in the water.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hook ladders are a joke unless they are very long otherwise, while in the water, you have to bring your heel up to your chin to reach the first step.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Take it out for a day sail and see whether it works for you. In terms of emergency MOB recovery, my experience is that few crewmembers are able to come aboard unassisted. So some type of sling and a plan to use a halyard or block and tackle off the boom should be planned. Whatever you do, practice using it.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A permanent ladder is not required but it sure is nice to have. If you are a limber 20 year old you could probably get away with the hook ladder (geeze, I sound like an old fart) but having a permanently installed (folding or telescoping) ladder is a great addition.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I had a hook type ladder on my previous sailboat (Irwin 23) and it was generally a pain to deal with. It required constant attention to keep it from shifting or slipping off. The fixed ladder, as I remember, was expensive and hard to fit next to an outboard mount transom. I never made the switch. If I had the funds I would have definitely made a custom fixed ladder. Also if you fell overboard while single handing the hook style ladder would be useless.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
NewPaint_aft.jpg

I've been slowly restoring this Rhodes 22... and it came with this very nice miniture swim platform. I chartered a Rhodes like this and fell in love... so when I saw a good deal on a sunk Rhodes... I nabbed it. Part of my plan is to add a small folding ladder to the platform. Getting in and out should be very easy.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you have a "Life Sling"? Except for "casual" falling overboard conditions, its really a variety of events that you're trying to deal with. I realize you're probably on mostly sheltered water situations -- but that doesn't mean many overboard situations are "casual" occurrences.

Getting someone back to the boat that is physically okay is one issue -- getting that person back on board is a different situation depending on crew, weather, and other issues.

Boarding from a swim ladder in anything but docile conditions can be problematic.

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53943 (It's cover below for one)

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
When I first started sailing, 30 some years ago, I took a local USPS basic safety course. At the time we owned an O'Day 272. My mentor for the course gave me these words of wisdom; on a nice, warm, calm day, jump overboard while at anchor (not in a marina) and see if you can get back on your boat with no assistance. Even with a ladder it's harder than you think.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
An addendum to chrisings post: Also make sure there is someone around to pick you up if you can't get back on.
I would always want a usable swim ladder. That means something deployable from in the water. For instance a line you can pull that will lower the part of the ladder which is in the water. Or on a sugar scoop transom, the ladder being within reach to fold down. On my runabout it was a bungy cord across the fold down part of the ladder. Marinas are required to provide egress from the water. So should boats.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have one similar to this that I bought at WM years ago. It has worked so well that I have never changed it out and I get in the water frequently. Mine is 6 steps and actually has loop handles that fasten to the deck above the transom, providing a very nice grip. This one doesn't appear to have that feature, but with just a little less freeboard on your Oday 22 it may fit pretty well at 5 steps. Mine has 3 steps below the water and 3 steps above the water, perfectly spaced for stepping off the top of the transom. This one appears that it will also be 3 steps below the water, which is very important. Even 2 steps isn't quite enough. Our dog used to climb our ladder unassisted, but now she is too old. :(
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...ding-transom-ladders--P012868543?recordNum=15

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
As a former owner of a Hunter 22, I have a different consideration for the OP -- where are you going to put the thing when it is not over the side? Those hook ladders do not fold up very much, and there was not much usable storage on my 22 to store it. The other consideration is that hook ladders are designed for power boats with skinny gunwales. Many sailboats have wider coamings to sit on while healed - I don't know the O'Day.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
From what I've noticed, most falling overboard happen at the dock in ones own slip. A ladder is a must in my opinion! Look around and imagine you just fell in... how many choices do you have for getting yourself out of the water?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
From what I've noticed, most falling overboard happen at the dock in ones own slip. A ladder is a must in my opinion! Look around and imagine you just fell in... how many choices do you have for getting yourself out of the water?
In Annapolis, the law requires marina ladders(on the bulkhead) no more then 75 feet apart. If you're in a slip, you should be aware of where the closest one is. That said, I have a line from the folded-up swim ladder that I can reach when in the water and pull the ladder into the water.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
that said, I have a line from the folded-up swim ladder that I can reach when in the water and pull the ladder into the water.

Yes, same with us. I have a bungee clipped within easy reach if you are in the water, and the ladder lowers.
There have been a few good discussions here already that went into detail about the things people do while in their slips, to keep them safe in case of accidentally going over.

Oct 26, 2008
Ah ... I found the gunwale-mount ladder that I have. The picture shows 4 steps, but if you look at the description, the 6 step model is also available. Sorry, I don't have a good photo of the ladder on my boat except this one with the smiling Ward that shows the gunwale mount. It really has been a sturdy, stainless steel ladder and it is easily removable, if you don't like a permanent fixture. It is as solid and useful as a fixed-mount ladder. The only issue that I have is that the plastic inserts that protect the ends of the tubular steel at the hinge (they come together when you unfold the ladder) get shredded after awhile, particularly if you have a little bit of a reverse transom as I do. Luckily, I found a source for plastic plugs that fit neatly into the 1" tubular steel (with a little bit of trimming). I have to replace them just about every year if I'm using the ladder a lot. It keeps the bare metal from getting chewed up. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--gunwale-mount-ladders--P012868550
On my boat, that hinged end and the first step up from the hinge trails in the water slightly when she squats while underway, both motoring and sailing. The resistance would be distressing to racers, I'm sure, so the fact that the ladder is easily removable is a plus. I long ago stopped stressing over some things. :waycool:

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If I fall in at the marina I fully expect to find myself face to face with St. Peter. Stray current an all. The few times it has happened I climbed out and lit a cigar to celebrate my great good luck!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
If I fall in at the marina I fully expect to find myself face to face with St. Peter. Stray current an all. The few times it has happened I climbed out and lit a cigar to celebrate my great good luck!
Gunni, Love the visual of that!!!
So far, I've gone in only part way, while untangling my foot from a line as I departed..... but husband fell in helping another boat, and way too many others have gone in at least once over the last 10 years. ALL at their slips. I am amazed at the number of boats with no way to board them from the water.

Oct 26, 2008
I've gone into the water at my marina a few times on purpose. The first time to unclog the seawater intake (successful), the second time to search for my glasses (unsuccessful). I looked to see if there were any boats within 50' that were plugged in. Maybe I'm pressing my luck? The water isn't exactly swimming pool clear. :sick:

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Scott, your marina is salt water? The lower electrical resistance protects you to a certain extent. In fresh water, current travels quite a distance and a human body is much less resistant than the water.