transom boarding ladder oday20

Jul 10, 2018
Oday 20 Minneapolis
Any suggestions for a fixed mount transom boarding ladder for a 1978 oday20 that is sailed solo? The positive slope of stern makes mounting a telescoping ladder questionable. I'm considering a four step folding ladder (17" folded, 33" deployed, 10.5" W}. No option strikes the balance between: 1) narrow enough that it does not interfere with the rudder Or protrude beyond the outside edge of the stern 2) short enough to not drag in the water while sailing folded Yet long enough to give enough leverage to pull myself out of the water when unfolded. Side mount, temporary mount, or rope ladder is not an option for me. I've reviewed old post and did not see a solution.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Lots of options. Check this thread out:

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Our ladder looks bran new despite being dated 2005. I suspect it might never have been deployed because, yes, it interferes with the rudder. So why a transom mount ladder at all? In northern Europe where they gunkhole a lot a ladder is frequently hanging over the bow pulpit.

If you were in a spending mood you could get one of these:

But I prefer this simple one, if they'd ship it here:

Jul 10, 2018
Oday 20 Minneapolis
I installed a Whitewater brand folding transom ladder that is backed in the interior hull with two pieces of 3x4 inch starboard. Interior access was tight but possible by removing a plywood panel. I'm 6 feet tall and have the flexibility of a 2x4 but I could do it. When fully deployed, it is 1 foot below the waterline. I ensured the ladder did not interfere with the rudder but protrudes 1 inch beyond the lower portside of the transom above the water line.