Transmission Slippage

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toby Miller

I recently purchased an '81 Hunter 36 with a 20hp Yanmar in it. This is my first boat and I have a question about transmission problems. Hopefully I will know something when talking to a repairman. The other day the transmission would not engage the shaft when put in gear. The collar that the shaft goes into spins when in gear but it is not grabbing the shaft. I am not too familiar with these tranny's but it sounds like it could be a clutch problem. Please let me know what possible diagnosis are, will the boat likely have to be pulled, and any thing else you can think of. Thanx Toby Miller S/V Dreamweaver

B

Bill Young

Flanges???

Toby: Are you talking about the flange that the shaft is connected to? The trans. has a matching flang that bolts up to the flange attached to the shaft. If the one on the shafe and trans. are spinning and not the shaft, the problem sounds like all you have is loose bolts. These bolts(usually 2) are threaded into the flange and tighten down on the shaft then safety wired. Hope this helps. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.