Transmission Replacement - Hurth

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Transmission is shot on my 1990 Catalina 30. Its a Hurth HBW50 anchored to a universal 3M20. i've ordered a rebuild tranny to swap out for basically a grand. My question is:

Has anyone done this Swap on their boat? any gotchas? easy job? enough room? how much beer will i need?

thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Great find on the new transmission. Could be a good time to change your engine mounts, too! I'd guess you'd have to lift the engine to gain reasonable access after you uncouple the coupling flanges. All the beer you want at the end of each workday! :):):)

Good luck.
Not looking to make more work than is necessary.. i hope to leave everything in place and just slide the shaft aft to make room for the removal.. looking for someone who's done it already.

thanks for the links... good info.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
whether this helps or not, brewers pilot point in westbrook,ct. did it to my boat gefore i got her. i have no idea if they will share the knowledge but i have always known them to be gentlemen. also, from a conversaton with hurth, always aail in reverse since it's the only positive gear and can't poish the clutch faces. a big no no.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
whether this helps or not, brewers pilot point in westbrook,ct. did it to my boat gefore i got her. i have no idea if they will share the knowledge but i have always known them to be gentlemen. also, from a conversaton with hurth, always aail in reverse since it's the only positive gear and can't poish the clutch faces. a big no no.
thanks, yes i'm always locked in reverse while under sail.. i never really liked the neutral option, seems that it would cause additional wear on the cutlass bearing, stuffing box or PSS, and the transmission itself..

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
in case anyone is following.. and since it seems nobody has done this swap personally i'll report how it goes on this thread..

the replacement transmission came in yesterday. i can already tell there is a problem with my current one, the throw is very much more positive on the replacement. it clicks into fwd through neutral and into reverse with much more authority. Friday is the target day for the swap. Wish me luck.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
are you sure this problem is your transmission? when i first got my boat it was very hard to shift and the gears were very vague. some WD40 on the engine linkages cured this instantly.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Billy you want to find a home for the old one? I'd like to get one to rebuild for my boat, I've a friend that would help me.

Dblbld

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 350 Stamford
Late to the party on this, but I have done this project.
A few years back I replaced the tranny on my c30. Engine however was 5411. Tranny I'm pretty sure was the same. I no longer own the boat.
Any way, the job is pretty easy and straightforward. BUT you must lift the engine at least enough to get access to the bolts under the bell housing.
You remove the bell housing which is just a matter of removing a whole lot of bolts.
The transmission is very simply bolted onto the bell housing
Hardest part of the job is removing all of the plumbing and electrical connections that will make it possible to lift the engine.
To get the engine out, I have used the main sheet tackle shackled to a bridle on the engine lifting points. At other times I used a come along. I had lifted the engine a several times and always done it by myself, but I can guarantee it would be easier to do with some help. Take lots of digital pix to refer to when putting it back.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me off list at billbernertv@gmail.com

Bill Berner
Formerly 1983 Catalina 30 trbs #3059
Now a c350 owner

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Taking out the sink cabinet isn't hard. Some screws inside around the base and sides. Plus, there are some secret screws inside the galley cupboards, far port side, into the countertop. Go easy wiggling it out, but it will disconnect in one big piece, kitchen sink(s) and all. You might spray some teak oil into the joint to help it slide. Just put it on the starboard settee for the time being.

Rob

Last edited:

Dblbld

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 350 Stamford
Of course you need to disconnect the hot and cold feeds to the faucet and sink drain in order to remove the cabinet. At least I did on my boat. If they aren't color coded, label the hot and cold hoses. A heat gun will help you pull the hoses from the barbed fittings.

The cabinet stores very nicely on the port settee.

The pain in this project, in addition to the dinned knuckles, is all of the disassembly and reassembly req'd before you actually start working on the engine. Pulling the bell housing, replacing the transmission and remounting the housing are by far the least time consuming part of the project.

BB
Formerly #3059 C30

Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
BillyK said:
in case anyone is following.. and since it seems nobody has done this swap personally i'll report how it goes on this thread..

the replacement transmission came in yesterday. i can already tell there is a problem with my current one, the throw is very much more positive on the replacement. it clicks into fwd through neutral and into reverse with much more authority. Friday is the target day for the swap. Wish me luck.
I also did this on my '83 Cat 30 w/5411 engine. Had to first month I owned her! Not too bad as I remember. most was covered already except I used my boom vang rigged overhead on my boom through the hatch for all lifting and muscle. BIG help.

Another tip: I always use my digital camera to reach in nook and crannies and snap lots of shots if I need to see anything before I reach around by hand. I use my camera instead of my blackberry camera only for the better optics and bigger display.

good luck.
Craig

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Job done. 6 bolts to remove the transmission from the universal. 6 bolts to remove the adapter plate and then reverse the install.. could do it under 3 hours now, including removing the entire galley cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.