Transmission Oil Check on Yanmar 3GM30F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2012
Hunter Legend 35.5 Trenton, ON
Good Evening,

I have a question on the transmission that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I've up-loaded a photo of the transmission dipstick on my Yanmar 3GM30F diesel engine. When I pull up on the yellow knob, I find it very difficult to obtain a reading for the oil quantity. When I pull the dipstick a little harder, it seems to come to a stop and when I press it back down there is no "stop" or "latch" to indicate that it is properly seated.

Does anyone have this same type of dipstick and is there a trick to obtaining a proper reading?

As well, should I require to add transmission oil, do I need to 'force' the dipstick out of its receptacle in order to replenish the oil supply?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Rob

Attachments

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
I will be guessing here but -- I think the yellow knob was originally threaded and thus intended to screw into the transmission fill port - not push in. Check to see if the threaded section has broken off from the knob and presently is in the transmission fill port - because it sure looks like it from your photo.

Otherwise the check sequence is unscrew, wipe clean, reinsert - but do not screw in, withdraw, and see that the oil level reaches the mark at the very bottom of the stick.

Charles

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35.5 Montréal PQ
Rob,

Look at the picture attached for stick in proper working order and procedure for reading oil level on a 3gm 30F for a 35.5:dance:

Claude

Attachments

Sep 9, 2012
Thank you for the quick reply Charles. I know it is hard to see; however, if you can "zoom in" on the photo, you can see the 'O' ring that is seated right at the base. There are no threads for this dipstick :(

Sep 9, 2012
Claude,

Thank you as well. This is becoming very interesting for me. I note in your picture that the top of your dipstick (the yellow portion) clearly shows threads. My dipstick does not have this; as well, it does not appear to be missing. Mine looks like it just "seats" on the 'O' ring located at the base ~)

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Yep it looks like the threads have broken off from the actual "nut". Think I can just see them down in the hole. I had the same thing happen. Very carefully remove them! You can see them on the stock dip in Claude's pic. You will need to twist them out. As I remember, I was very inventive on my removal tool but for the life of me cant remember what it was. May have been something as simple as a wooden plug with some tape on it. You dont want that {threads ) falling in the tranny. Yours has threads for sure. I got a replacement dipstick from my local Yanmar guy. Few bucks.

The trick for reading it is some white fingernail polish to the indentation on the stick. Oil level is easy to see then. Finally, no foaming tranny oil. Delo 30 SAE period!

Good luck
edit: senior moment. I think I used my flax removal tool to break them loose. No maybe it was just a small flathead screwdriver? Good news is they are plastic against metal and should be not rust. Or heck try your finger! Be patient!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35.5 Montréal PQ
Like Rick, I think that the top portion of the dipstick has separated from the tread. It is broken just below the flange. You will have to find a way to get the tread out of the transmission without some plastic chips falling in the hole!

Good luck

Sep 9, 2012
Looks like I am going to have to contact Yanmar directly somehow. What puzzles me is that even if the threads have broken off, I should be able to remove the dipstick completely as the metal portion of the dipstick is still connected to the yellow handle -- right?

When I pull on the yellow handle, the dipstick will come up to a point, then comes to a resistance point where I know if I pull any harder will break something.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Yanmar will give you nothing more than you already know. Do you have a mechanic that does about your maintenance? If so consult this person but if you want to have a go at this - here is a possible solution.

(1) Draw the stick up until it stops. When it stops turn the knob anti-clockwise maintaining gentle upward pressure. The hope is the stick friction in the thread remnant will begin unscrewing the threads.
(2) Tease the perimeter of the thread remnant with a very sharp ice pick as you twist.

We have other solutions should the stick come free from the thread remnant.

Charles

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Your transmission takes 300 ml of 30 wt motor oil after you drain the used fluid through the plug/bolt on the lower aft Port side of the transmission. To get the plastic threads out you may be able to use circlip pliers, the jaws spread when you squeeze the handles. The jaws will press against the threads as you spin the pliers to extract the broken threads.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Claude,
I think my manual says to seat the dipstick fully by threading it in completely. Are you using more than 300 ml of oil to see fluid at the mark the way you are doing it?

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Zoom,
To answer your question; Yes, you must remove the dipstick to put oil into the transmission.

Sep 9, 2012
Thank you all for your help. I went back tonight and had a very close look. In fact, the handle has been broken and it is the threads that remain in the hole. I will try all suggestions to get the threads out of the hole and replace the dipstick.

So much for spending over $700 for surveys! Caveat emptor ;)

Rob

Sep 9, 2012
Claude,
I think my manual says to seat the dipstick fully by threading it in completely. Are you using more than 300 ml of oil to see fluid at the mark the way you are doing it?
My manual makes specific mention to make sure the reading is taken with the dipstick not threaded into the hole.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35.5 Montréal PQ
Splax,

zoom has a manual that mention to make sure the dipstick is not treaded and I have read the same, however I found another Yanmar manual that mention that we must fully tread the dipstick. I' am puzzled... In both case the oil quantity is 0,3Liter.

Attachments

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Claude, I was at the Yanmar dealer recently (to buy a new dip stick!) and asked him about this. He showed me a technical note from Yanmar that indicated they now say it should be measured without threading it back into the hole. He said they sell quite a few dip sticks and the plastic handle breaking is a common problem.

I removed the broken part on mine with a small screwdriver, the blade was just a bit wider than the diameter of the dipstick tube. I tapped it in lightly and the broken part then turned out easily, all intact.

Bob

Sep 9, 2012
Thank You to All

To All,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to everyone that has contributed. Without the uploading of pictures and suggestions, I never would have realized that I was dealing with a broken piece of equipment nor how to best deal with the situation. Albeit I am not a novice to sailing, I am a novice to this size of boat with its new challenges. This "on-the-surface' minor issue could have proven to be a very costly repair -- not to mention possibly having to shutdown the engine at an unsafe moment.

Today I was fortunate enough to remove the complete broken-off thread -- as well as verifying the quantity of oil present in the gearbox.

I've ordered a new dipstick and -- with all of the kind advice received from this fantastic forum -- I will be more cognitive in dealing with what is obviously a common flaw in engineering.

Best regards,
Rob
:D

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Thank you all for your help. I went back tonight and had a very close look. In fact, the handle has been broken and it is the threads that remain in the hole. I will try all suggestions to get the threads out of the hole and replace the dipstick.

So much for spending over $700 for surveys! Caveat emptor ;)

Rob
Rob:

Most surveys donot include the engine other than a basic look-see. Besides most surveyors exclude their liability for every thing and anything. It sort of makes you wonder why insurance companies depend on them.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Interesting.. I looked at a few different owners manuals and found some that, like Claude posted, have the cryptic, " Check with screwing the dipstick." I think this is a typo and the translator from the original Jananese forgot to put the "out" after the "with" .. My experience with old Japanese-to-English manual translations is that there are some really "iffy" places.. I had a 1962 Honda motorcycle and deciphering the manual took some careful thinking and consideration. My 1969 Datsun manual was similar but better..My mid '80's Yanmar manuals are much better but still have some rough spots.. Most don't matter, but the dipstick thing does since the threads are longer than the oil level marks on the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.