Transmission oil capacity

Sep 1, 2013
catalina 30 suttons bay
Hi all,

I have a 1980 30 Tallrig with a 5411 diesel and hurst trans. What is the trans oil capacity ? My manual says 1.3 quarts . I filled to that spec , and the level on the dipstick is considerably higher than the factory mark on the dipstick . Looking forward to feedback , Shannon

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The Hurth manual says 0.44 quarts. It also days to fill to the top with ATF during winter storage, then drain back down to the dip stick mark in the spring. That could be the 1.3 quarts.
I don't know what running it over filled would do.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Hi all, I have a 1980 30 Tallrig with a 5411 diesel and hurst trans. What is the trans oil capacity ? My manual says 1.3 quarts . I filled to that spec , and the level on the dipstick is considerably higher than the factory mark on the dipstick . Looking forward to feedback , Shannon
What model transmission. Once you know that you can go online and download the manual which will tell you how much.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Just posting some old info re: filling and replacing fluid on the the C30 tranny that isn't posted on a public forum..

I used a 12v. impeller pump for 15 yrs -- set up to suck out both the oil pan & tranny. Mine isn't the one from Harbor Freight below (instead is a Little Giant brand pump from Grainger at 2.5x the cost), but if mine ever goes south, I'll go with the $40 one below.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

Several tips if you decide to go that way...

I like the multi-purpose pump, as I can use it for diesel (empty tank or deliver fuel in an emergency) or just about anything I need to move from place A to place B. I pump into a gallon plastic oil, antifreeze, or whatever container. ) I set it up with a long power cord, a 12v lighter plug (convenient), and an in-line rocker switch mounted to the pump base (mandatory for when the discharge hose falls out of the waste oil container!!)

I have brass barb fittings screwed into the the inzie and outzie ports, with a short silicone tubing on them - wherein I slip 1/4" I.D. flexible pvc tubing on the outlet side to the container. On the sucker side I have the silicone and a short piece of the 1/4" PVC, and then slip in a stiffer 1/4" O.D. poly tubing to slide down the dipstick and tranny (I secure the tubings with small zip ties .) "Someday" I'll switch the inzie to one of the plastic compression-type fittings (with the O-ring in them) and just insert the poly tube and thumb tighten the plastic compression nut.

Works great. Having the quick-connect suction and discharge tubing makes it neat and easy to coil up and dump the lines into a zip bag with my used oil and fuel filters -- to minimize mess when changing out. I keep it, a set of filters, and extra pre-cut lengths of the tubing in a plastic, hinged-top, shoebox-size, storage box (Wally or Dollar Store) with a absorbent pad in the bottom to collect drips when not being used. Stows nicely in a spot next to the pressure water pump.

BTW, I have no problem with a wrench on my filters - I got a smaller version of a standard oil filter wrench - it's for a smaller diameter filter (maybe a motorcycle filter - nt sure?) so the throw onthe handle isn't much to tighten In fact unlike a conventional wrench, this one just slips over my filters with little room to spare. But also, I changed my engine door to a 14h x 18w so have plenty of access there. You can see the pic of the larger door in the yahoo photo folder #3573 interior...

For the tranny, I got one of the plastic laboratory squeeze bottles that has a pointed spout on top... I put a 1/4" pvc hose on it. I fill to the 300 ml mark on the bottle (the Hurth takes 0.3 liter fluid.) I keep the bottle upright, insert the tube and turn over and squeeze - fills away without spilling tranny goop all over.

When I was on the hard over the winter, I used to fill the tranny all the way, and in spring I used a rubber battery-filler squeeze bulb to suck out fluid to just the correct level (I marked the tube on my sucker with tape to match the tranny dipstick, but could have done the same thing with my 12v pump.

Sorry for the TMI !! Just got on a roll here...

Cheers,
Ken K
1984 TRBSFK #3573 M-25
"Positive Impact"

Get yourself a plastic lab squeeze bottle (Nalgene / amazon) - one with a pointy top. (HF has ones, but not good quality -- but will work in a pinch.)

Attach a vinyl hose - say 1/4" (I just hold mine with a small zip tie - I could probably do something better/more permanent.

Mark the bottle at 0.3 liter (that's what the HB takes.)

Easy -- fill the bottle to mark - insert hose, THEN tip it up to refill the tranny -- funnel, no fl uid running all down the tranny/bilge/hands/etc. No drips, no runs, no errors.

Check level and top off if necessary.

ALTERNATELY - when I was on the hard I used to change oil @ Fall, and fill the HB to the top.
THEN, in spring suck out down to the "full" level.

Get a battery filler / squeeze bulb, mark the tube at the correct level (I use a zip tie, as tape will come off with fluid attacking it) Insert filler into the tranny to the mark, suck fluid out down to the "full" level.

Voila' or walla. Whatever.

Cheers,
Ken

Mar 29, 2017
Catalina 30 Everett, wa
Just posting some old info re: filling and replacing fluid on the the C30 tranny that isn't posted on a public forum..

That was very helpful. Wish I'd thought about a electric pump years ago. What a pain it is to get the engine oil out! Will likely get the HF pump and follow your tips. Appreciate it. I did the transmission today. Was able to remove the plug below the dipstick and catch the oil below. Bit tough getting it screwed back on but worked fine. For people who don't know, the dipstick has a groove about a 1/2 inch from the bottom and this is the full mark to use. You check it by just putting the dipstick back in the hole but don't screw it down. Check to see when fluid hits the groove on the dipstick. To see more clearly I wound a piece of paper towel around the dipstick, stuck it tightly with scotch tape, put it in the hole until the paper soaked up the new oil to show me it was about level with the groove. Worked quite well. It's tough to see the oil on the dipstick.

Steve

I used a 12v. impeller pump for 15 yrs -- set up to suck out both the oil pan & tranny. Mine isn't the one from Harbor Freight below (instead is a Little Giant brand pump from Grainger at 2.5x the cost), but if mine ever goes south, I'll go with the $40 one below.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

Several tips if you decide to go that way...

I like the multi-purpose pump, as I can use it for diesel (empty tank or deliver fuel in an emergency) or just about anything I need to move from place A to place B. I pump into a gallon plastic oil, antifreeze, or whatever container. ) I set it up with a long power cord, a 12v lighter plug (convenient), and an in-line rocker switch mounted to the pump base (mandatory for when the discharge hose falls out of the waste oil container!!)

I have brass barb fittings screwed into the the inzie and outzie ports, with a short silicone tubing on them - wherein I slip 1/4" I.D. flexible pvc tubing on the outlet side to the container. On the sucker side I have the silicone and a short piece of the 1/4" PVC, and then slip in a stiffer 1/4" O.D. poly tubing to slide down the dipstick and tranny (I secure the tubings with small zip ties .) "Someday" I'll switch the inzie to one of the plastic compression-type fittings (with the O-ring in them) and just insert the poly tube and thumb tighten the plastic compression nut.

Works great. Having the quick-connect suction and discharge tubing makes it neat and easy to coil up and dump the lines into a zip bag with my used oil and fuel filters -- to minimize mess when changing out. I keep it, a set of filters, and extra pre-cut lengths of the tubing in a plastic, hinged-top, shoebox-size, storage box (Wally or Dollar Store) with a absorbent pad in the bottom to collect drips when not being used. Stows nicely in a spot next to the pressure water pump.

BTW, I have no problem with a wrench on my filters - I got a smaller version of a standard oil filter wrench - it's for a smaller diameter filter (maybe a motorcycle filter - nt sure?) so the throw onthe handle isn't much to tighten In fact unlike a conventional wrench, this one just slips over my filters with little room to spare. But also, I changed my engine door to a 14h x 18w so have plenty of access there. You can see the pic of the larger door in the yahoo photo folder #3573 interior...

For the tranny, I got one of the plastic laboratory squeeze bottles that has a pointed spout on top... I put a 1/4" pvc hose on it. I fill to the 300 ml mark on the bottle (the Hurth takes 0.3 liter fluid.) I keep the bottle upright, insert the tube and turn over and squeeze - fills away without spilling tranny goop all over.

When I was on the hard over the winter, I used to fill the tranny all the way, and in spring I used a rubber battery-filler squeeze bulb to suck out fluid to just the correct level (I marked the tube on my sucker with tape to match the tranny dipstick, but could have done the same thing with my 12v pump.

Sorry for the TMI !! Just got on a roll here...

Cheers,
Ken K
1984 TRBSFK #3573 M-25
"Positive Impact"

Get yourself a plastic lab squeeze bottle (Nalgene / amazon) - one with a pointy top. (HF has ones, but not good quality -- but will work in a pinch.)

Attach a vinyl hose - say 1/4" (I just hold mine with a small zip tie - I could probably do something better/more permanent.

Mark the bottle at 0.3 liter (that's what the HB takes.)

Easy -- fill the bottle to mark - insert hose, THEN tip it up to refill the tranny -- funnel, no fl uid running all down the tranny/bilge/hands/etc. No drips, no runs, no errors.

Check level and top off if necessary.

ALTERNATELY - when I was on the hard I used to change oil @ Fall, and fill the HB to the top.
THEN, in spring suck out down to the "full" level.

Get a battery filler / squeeze bulb, mark the tube at the correct level (I use a zip tie, as tape will come off with fluid attacking it) Insert filler into the tranny to the mark, suck fluid out down to the "full" level.

Voila' or walla. Whatever.

Cheers,
Ken