Transmission Fluid

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have 1980 Yanmar 2QM15 with a Kanzaki-Carl Hurth transmission. The specified transmission fluid is ATF-A. This fluid is obsolete and rare and I can only find it available for purchase in large quantities. It only requires .7 liters at the annual oil change and I do not want a ten year supply. Does anyone know if a more modern transmission fluid may be used such as one of the Dexron variations?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
My Hurth model 50 -- stock trans on our Universal M25XP -- , in use on our boat from '88 to '18, used ATF. And per a very experienced mechanic the modern equivalent of this oil product was perfectly fine to upgrade to. You are understandably concerned, after reading the old documents, and this question comes up all the time. Oil technology did more forward, and beneficially so.

Our was working fine at 2300 hours when the whole drive train was replaced. The last several years I had even changed to the "Amsoil" ATF product. That model of Hurth was delicate and failure prone so the main thing is to put in fresh oil every season. Ours held about 10 fluid oz, or some such amount. Keep it clean and check the level regularly. No harm in checking and changing out the oil more often, IMHO.

BTW, this is intriguing because I thought those old (and reliable) Yanmar's used regular lube oil in their transmissions. Learned something new today... :)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You can purchase 1 quart container of ATF. You might find this thread helpful on selecting ATF fluid.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
I own a 1983 O'Day 30 with a Hurth gearbox requiring Type A. Here is what I got from Mack Boring regarding the transmission fluid. I hope this helps you out.

Hello George,
Most major brands still offer Dextron III. Dextron III is available and is more commonly known as ATF fluid. In regards to Dextron IV this is a synthetic based fluid and is not recommended by ZF as viable fluid to use in their transmissions. ZF DOES NOT recommend the use of a synthetic based fluid in the transmission.

Thank you for contacting Mack Boring and Parts Company.
Happy Boating

Hello George,
I searched on AutoZone’s website. I am very surprised you could not find it at your local AutoZone. Here is a picture of the bottle they commonly carry and a link to their website (link no longer works). Most major companies are switching to different names for DEX III this is the way AutoZone has it listed DEX/MERC .This is a Dextron Mercon blend and will work fine for your application most DEX III fluids are a multi-blend with Mercon.
I also searched NAPA auto. They have the same DEX/MERC blend and commonly known as ATF fluid for NAPA it’s the same fluid named differently. I hope this helps you

I hope you find these fluids in your local auto parts retail outlets if you have any problems please feel free to contact us at anytime and we will do our best to answer your questions.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NO_75200_0274140289

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
DEX III is all you need. Wal*Mart has a Super-Tech High Mileage ATF which is DEX III. You can also pay more and get a branded DEX III. This is the same fluid I run in my own boat and my wife's Antique Mercedes. I also ran it in my last truck.

My 2002 Toyota went 367K before rust finally won its battle. Everything mechanical was perfect. That vehicle ran SuperTech ATF fluid from 112K on. Never so much as a hiccup in regards to the transmission and Blackstone labs test reports confirmed it to be working perfectly. Toyota now uses a proprietary ATF fluid which is insanely expensive. The new trucks also have no dip-stick for re-fill's so transmission fluid changes are a major PITA vs. a 15 minute drain/fill. My current truck runs the proprietary Toyota WS transmission fluid but SuperTech 0W-20 SuperTech Oil & a Toyota filter. Only 252K on this one though.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My Hurth is currently being rebuilt. The marine transmission mechanic says Dexron III (3)...

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Dexron III it is then. Thanks everyone for your help.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
DEX III is all you need. Wal*Mart has a Super-Tech High Mileage ATF which is DEX III. You can also pay more and get a branded DEX III. This is the same fluid I run in my own boat and my wife's Antique Mercedes. I also ran it in my last truck.

My 2002 Toyota went 367K before rust finally won its battle. Everything mechanical was perfect. That vehicle ran SuperTech ATF fluid from 112K on. Never so much as a hiccup in regards to the transmission and Blackstone labs test reports confirmed it to be working perfectly. Toyota now uses a proprietary ATF fluid which is insanely expensive. The new trucks also have no dip-stick for re-fill's so transmission fluid changes are a major PITA vs. a 15 minute drain/fill. My current truck runs the proprietary Toyota WS transmission fluid but SuperTech 0W-20 SuperTech Oil & a Toyota filter. Only 252K on this one though.
According to Toyota, my ’07 Tacoma with six speed does not require tranny service of any kind. It has to be pressurized and other steps for servicing..

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
According to Toyota, my ’07 Tacoma with six speed does not require tranny service of any kind. It has to be pressurized and other steps for servicing..
Probably the same transmission as I have in my 2007 FJ Cruiser. These "sealed" transmissions run a long time without service but really should have the fluid changed occasionally. The guys on the FJ Cruiser forum say around 60,000 miles. Here is an analysis report from one with 87,000 km. The properties look good but there are some high counts for some elements

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Not to get off topic, but you can believe Toyota or use a lab to analyze the fluid.. I would urge you to ask Toyota to define "Lifetime". I have, they won't. The hogwash about "pressurizing to service" I suspect is the dealer scamming you out of money and taking the "flushing machine" short-cut..

On my 2010 with the 5.7 it is more difficult than the 02 but still not terribly difficult. I bought a fill adapter, use WS Fluid and use my temp gun and diagnostic tool to tell when transmission temp is correct to set the fill level. I never use a flushing machine only drain & fills. The first one I do, when I buy a used vehicle, is to drop the pan, clean it and the magnets and replace the filter. I then do multiple drain/fills in the first 10K of my ownership in order to start out clean. I then do one drain/fill every 25K.

As my buddy Dave says (owns transmission shops) #1 No such thing as "Lifetime" fluid & #2 The only transmissions we don't repair are the ones that have been routinely maintained with fluid changes (not flushes).

While I trust my buddy Dave, I trust Blackstone Labs to accurately tell me how my ATF is performing. The only vehicle we've ever owned where the transmission fluid could still be in perfectly safe usable condition (according to Blackstone), at 60K, was an Acura MDX. Honda/Acura also claims "Lifetime" and it is completely untrue in regards to my defined "lifetime". My wife's current Honda Pilot has 200K and I do a drain/fill ever third oil change because #1 it's cheap, #2 it takes me 15 minutes extra (much faster than the Toyota because I don't have to set the fill level by the temp of the transmission)

The way I drive my Toyota's, based on Blackstone Labs analysis, I am doing a simple drain/fill every 25K (you only get a few quarts with a single drain/fill). The reports come back perfect if I do this.

While most folks will never experience a transmission failure, because most owners get rid of their vehicles before 60K. I drive mine until they are murdered by road salt. Never had a vehicle die from an engine or transmission failure, but I routinely change all fluids. I fully expect my current truck to last to 450K to 500K (252K currently) ...

In regards to boats (on topic) I change the fluid on my Hurth marine gear annually.. We do the same for those of our customers who we do commissioning work for too. Never once had a Hurth gear fail when doing this, even the supposedly "crappy" Hurth gears we hear so much about.

This is the 60K interval for my truck. Note the 60K interval just for adding a Thule type box. Lifetime....???

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My 2000 BMW Z3M roadster has “lifetime” transmission oil in the 5-speed tranny...planning to change it while the car is on blocks over the winter.

Got to the differential last year...but drove it around too much all summer.

Greg