Transiting Deception Pass

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Some harbor a fear of transiting Deception Pass in a displacement hull boat. Much of this fear comes from lore about past mishaps that have become more of a fable than fact. Before I made my first transit, I shared this apprehension. Now, however, after many times through here is what I have experienced, a smooth passage with cliffs and greenery to marvel, a passage that cuts many miles off of alternative routes.

Utmost of importance is to transit during slack water where it becomes a nonplus event. Most local tide table books provide a section that covers slack water times at Deception Pass. Be sure to pick one up and become familiar with it. Depending upon tide state on a given day, you have about a 30 minute window to transit during slack water. You can push it, but we try to stay within that window. Currents outside this window build rather quickly and become quite strong (six to eight knots at maximum flow) with powerful eddies and debris about that can overpower your boat's ability to maintain course.

Two very good anchorages provide a respite in preparation for the passage; Bowman Bay on the west side of the Pass and Cornet Bay on the east side. Both place you within minutes of the entrance.

Depending on your route direction, if we stop in Cornet Bay for a route north we will transit on a slack before the flood. That way when we pass through we will pickup a flood north through San Juan or Bellingham Channel. If your route is south it would be more favorable to transit on a slack before the ebb.

A route east through Deception Pass becomes less of an issue, but a slack before the flood will be more favorable for awhile south down towards Strawberry Point. In time the flood will begin to build in Saratoga and offset any favorable current through Deception.

As you plan your future cruises consider Deception Pass as a very safe and scenic moment for those with you on your way to distant points and new experiences. Just be sure to stay inside the slack water window.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I have been thru deception pass a number of times also. if you are at all unsure about it, I agree one should wait til the current slows approaching slack water....
and I have been down thru the middle of cattle pass. I think cattle pass can be worse if you are in the wrong spot when the current gets to running... but its much wider, and even though you can get out of the white water, the current is still very strong many small displacement boats cant make any headway in it, and a lot of times can lose what they had.
the strong currents are a part of the san juan experience, and as long as you are going with the current, you can really make some miles:biggrin:... if one pays attention to whats going on around them, there is a lot of experience one can get, and learn about handling... and have fun doing it.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Since we're talking about Deception and Cattle Passes, this video from last summer has a little bit of both starting around 4:00.

http://svaquavit.tumblr.com/post/137236698190

I knew we were leaving Cattle Pass at peak ebb (which was ~3 kts) so we could make Deception around slack, so I expected it to be choppy/sloppy, and it definitely was. The worst of it was just outside the pass and then once we turned east toward Deception the waves were less sharp and were off our stern so it was rolly but at least no bashing around. Forbin (dog) was not happy about it.

We went through Deception with about a 3 kt flood with no problems and it was great to be covering so much ground so quickly. I try to stay within the window Terry mentioned and I wouldn't even bother if the current was going to be against me. Deception is great though, the scenery is amazing.

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
I've only been through Deception Pass once, about 5 years ago when my partner and I were bringing the boat I bought in Des Moines back to Sidney. It was a very sunny afternoon of a very stormy day in the spring. I kept checking the currents to see when it would ebb, and listened constantly to the weather to determine what conditions were like out on Rosario Strait to see if we could make it across to Lopez before evening. I was trying to figure out which was the closest station that was on the radio, and finally decided that the "West Point" they were referring to was the one at the outside of Deception Pass. (Big mistake, I now realize that they were referring to the one near Magnolia Bluff/Shilsole.) They were reporting moderate wind so I figured all was well. The current was starting to exit Deception as we approached and merrily headed through at a good pace. However, once we got through we started to encounter major swells, standing waves and storm conditions, no way we were going out past West Point! Completely unfamiliar with the area, not knowing how safe Bowman Bay might or might not be, I turned around to go back to Cornet Bay. In the short time since we passed through the current had picked up substantially and there we were with my little Yanmar single cylinder 12 horse trying its darndest to make headway back through. It wasn't going to happen. My partner (fairly inexperienced and not feeling very confident of our situation!) was of little help, but I got her to help me partially unfurl the genoa (a handkerchief really!) and with the wind blowing back through the pass against the current, we managed to slowly - literally clawing our way forward - eventually were able to get through the main current, hugged the shore and then snuck into the wharves at Cornet Bay and hunkered down. My partner was pretty silent, and a bit ..... terse, but eventually we were able to shake it off, make dinner, take a hike and get a well deserved sleep. Next day after the storm had blown itself out, we had a great passage and eventually made Sidney. Many lessons learned, as well as much humility. Sure was a pretty area though, and I plan to get back.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My first adventure at Deception Passage involved leaving Port Townsend motoring across a calm Straight up the west side of Whidbey Island on a sunny spring afternoon trying to reach the pass before the tide changed. We were 40 minutes behind our window. We were making 5 knts over the ground when we reached the beginning of the passage with the tide flowing against us. We proceeded at full speed for our Cal31, 6.4 knts. I watched as our ground speed dwindled. We got to 10 feet from the western edge of the bridge. The most narrow point in the passage. We were stopped. Zero knots. We decided to reverse our course and anchor in Bowman Bay. I turned the boat towards the middle of the channel and we were catapulted west ward at 14 knots. The anchorage was ours alone. The mooring balls had been stored for winter. Our anchor found a bit of sand and we settled in for the evening.

My buddy and I both woke at about 2:45. The night was clear, the moon was full and the tide was about to change flow eastward in 40 minutes. We hoisted anchor and made our transit with a 2 knt favorable flow through Deception Passage under a full moon. It was a memorable journey and one I encourage all to explore.

Dec 25, 2000
Glad you made it safely. Conditions can become quite harrowing at times depending on interacting marine factors. That shoal just outside and to the north of Cattle Pass can become a very nasty tide rip.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I will pay attention to the information about Cattle Pass this summer.

Dec 25, 2000
The best time to pass through Cattle Pass on a northward passage is on a flood. Not so bad if you're approaching from the SSE coming from Deception Pass or Guemes Channel. However, if you're coming down the west side of San Juan Island and plan to head up through Cattle Pass into San Juan Channel, you will want to swing way west around that shoal and then head directly into Cattle Pass. That shoal is quite large and extends out maybe three miles, and that is where the more serious tide rips occur.

Either way, when the flood reaches maximum flow through Cattle Pass, use care due to some strong eddies. It will speed you through in short order, not as strong as Deception Pass, but still enough to get your attention.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
One of my more exciting times was transiting Cattle Pass south during a flood tide - 32+ yrs ago -- was motoring in my Catalina 22 with my bride to be (still married). The outboard was drowned by confused waves and I had to go forward to get the Jib up -- TWICE (I'm slow so tried again). When going forward the second time Trish asked me what she could do -- I just told her to Pray..... After the second time we bagged it and anchored in Fisherman's Bay and begged a ride to grandma's house. I believe I wrote the experience up in the Mainsheet at the time.