transducer location

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
where would the best place to install a transducer be on a mac venture 17 swing keel

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What kind of transducer? Speed or Depth? or a Single SDT transducer.

In general transducers should be mounted in an area where the water is not turbulent. This would eliminate most areas along the keel/centerboard, off the transom and behind the keel/CB. That leaves the area in front of the keel. for a variety of reasons, the transducer should be mounted as close to the centerline as possible and pointing directly down.

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
would like to put an in hull transducer for a depth finder,in front of the keel sounds good,thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
would like to put an in hull transducer for a depth finder,in front of the keel sounds good,thanks
If you haven't purchased one yet, look for an in hull transducer. No hole is necessary and you may get a better position. The depth transducer needs to point directly down (or as close as possible). Some in hull transducers are adjustable to compensate for the hull shape.

This is a sample of one, it may not be the one you actually need, but you'll get the idea. Airmar makes most of the transducers on the market.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.

See reply #7 for a method of testing a transducer for performance. Notice the permanent installation .............. forget oils, antifreeze and any other goop you may have heard of for mounting..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
V-berth

I installed one on a Mac v22 once. I pushed it into a wad of plumbers putty. it was meant as a temp to see if the location worked but two years later I still had not replaced the putty with something more permanent

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
V-berth

I installed one on a Mac v22 once. I pushed it into a wad of plumbers putty. it was meant as a temp to see if the location worked but two years later I still had not replaced the putty with something more permanent
My boat came with an old speed sensor in the bow. After launch I found a small trickle of water from it. The water pressure prevented most of the common marine sealants and putties from working. Not wanting to pay to have the boat forklifted in and out of the water I tried plumber's putty. Little by little I was able to reduce the flow. It was able to eliminate it for a few months. The bow was a bit wet at the end of the season indicating that the plumbers putty was allowing water through. Regardless, It saved me $200, I now carry two tubes on-board and I know the stuff could get me out of a jam someday. One more pre-launch project to take care of in the spring...

The Norcross/Hawkeye transducer that I bought has a slanted mounting surface to help keep the transducer level despite the angle of the hull.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My boat came with an old speed sensor in the bow. After launch I found a small trickle of water from it. The water pressure prevented most of the common marine sealants and putties from working. Not wanting to pay to have the boat forklifted in and out of the water I tried plumber's putty. Little by little I was able to reduce the flow. It was able to eliminate it for a few months. The bow was a bit wet at the end of the season indicating that the plumbers putty was allowing water through. Regardless, It saved me $200, I now carry two tubes on-board and I know the stuff could get me out of a jam someday. One more pre-launch project to take care of in the spring...

The Norcross/Hawkeye transducer that I bought has a slanted mounting surface to help keep the transducer level despite the angle of the hull.
Yes man
I have a tub on my boat too. Small leaks around windows and hatches are also on my list