transducer "in hull" revisited

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi
I wrote about trying to get a dv70 garmin transom transducer to work "tru hull"
I Know John of happy Dolphin was trying it and also sea horse and couple others. I just launched and the old fish finder doesn't work so I'm hoping to ge this garmin one to do it. John, you talked about a wax ring. Where did you put it and did it work? any other advice much appreciated. don't feel comfortable going out with out a depth sounder.

thanks
Paul
now called "beam"

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Paul,
I just used a toilet bowl wax ring to install a transducer meant to be installed in a fitting filled with mineral oil or non toxic anti freeze. I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought the wax ring. I broke off hunks of the wax and mashed it onto the transducer, trying to make sure there were no air pockets. I built it up about 1/2 to 3/4" and also put it around the sides a bit. I did a quick sanding of the hull area about 6" to 10" from where I knew the keel was. Then I just mashed and twisted the transducer into the hull. It stuck well and works well.
When I was shopping for the 54DV I bought, I was told the included transom mount transducer would work in the hull but I opted for swapping the included one for one meant to be inside.
Hope that answers your question about the wax ring.