Tranny lever adventure

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Procedure before leaving dock and still tied eng warmed push tranny lever fwd, back to neutral, reverse, then back
to neutral to ensure all well before leaving. Last weekend out for sail then returning up fairway in 25 kts to my
cross wind cross tide slip Slowed shift to neutral start turning then fwd gear with power back to neutral.
Crosswise in slip fwd with some power then lever flopping in my hand no way to reverse.
Braced and bang into end of slip for $ 350.00 gelcoat repair. Lucky didn't happen before got part way
in slip. With that wind and tide would have bounced off few down wind boats.

Cotter key end of clevis pin which holds fork end of tranny cable into tranny lever in pedestal broke and
pin fell out. Think this time will put washer between cotter key and fork so key rubbing on something
that move little won't wear out so fast. Nothing between key and fork before. Looks like fork is
bronze (?) and pin on throttle side bronze? Will use stainless pin and key? Any thoughts.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEANTOO
San Jose, CA

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will use stainless pin and key?
Seems like a reasonable resolution to the issue.

Perhaps adding the "inspection of the Transmission and Throttle linkage" to an annual list of "Getting Ready for the Season" tasks would be in order.

That reminds me. I am not sure when I last inspected my transmission and throttle linkage. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Yes, at least use an ss cotter pin. The area is not much exposed to salt water (you hope) so crevice corrosion and electrolysis should not be an issue. If the clevis pin is so short that it forces the cotter to rub on the fork, then get a slightly longer one. SS should be a little cheaper and is stronger.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Procedure before leaving dock and still tied eng warmed push tranny lever fwd, back to neutral, reverse, then back
to neutral to ensure all well before leaving. Last weekend out for sail then returning up fairway in 25 kts to my
cross wind cross tide slip Slowed shift to neutral start turning then fwd gear with power back to neutral.
Crosswise in slip fwd with some power then lever flopping in my hand no way to reverse.
Braced and bang into end of slip for $ 350.00 gelcoat repair. Lucky didn't happen before got part way
in slip. With that wind and tide would have bounced off few down wind boats.

Cotter key end of clevis pin which holds fork end of tranny cable into tranny lever in pedestal broke and
pin fell out. Think this time will put washer between cotter key and fork so key rubbing on something
that move little won't wear out so fast. Nothing between key and fork before. Looks like fork is
bronze (?) and pin on throttle side bronze? Will use stainless pin and key? Any thoughts.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEANTOO
San Jose, CA
Any pictures?

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
I have that T shirt too. I have a large fender tied across the front of the slip so I managed to escape without gel coat damage. I used stainless steel when I repaired it. I think the washer idea has merit. Next time the compass is removed I will add one. Found the old pin about a year later when I was pulling cable for the new speed sensor.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Which Marina was that?
Five Brothers Marina in Delta.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Any pictures?
I have picture looking down into pedestal but all you will see is lever hanging down on one
side and pic of throttle connection (connected) on other side with rudder chain in middle.
Can see end of tranny cable with fork further down.

Clyde Thoringtons
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Yes, at least use an ss cotter pin. The area is not much exposed to salt water (you hope) so crevice corrosion and electrolysis should not be an issue. If the clevis pin is so short that it forces the cotter to rub on the fork, then get a slightly longer one. SS should be a little cheaper and is stronger.
Thank you all very much for your comments.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA