Trailrite trailer help

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding a 1983 Trailrite trailer for a Catalina 22. The trailer has drum brakes which look to be in good condition. Currently, the tongue has a non-hydraulic brake actuator coupler. It seems there aren't any options for the 2 1/2" tongue. I, even ordered the DA66B from eTrailer, not realizing the channel was 2 1/2" not 3", doh! Does anyone have a recommendation of a specific brand/model? Is my only option to fabricate it with two 1/4" pieces on the sides? This seems to be what Stingy Sailor did as a solution, but it was hard to tell... Any advice is appreciated.

DA66B

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Thanks for the response. After even more searching, it seems there isn't a company that makes a 2.5" version. Fabrication it is.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Your question got me thinking, so attached are some photos from my Trail-Rite trailers 0n my C-22's. The galvanized trailer has been converted to disc brakes, and the painted trailer brake system was completely replaced by the previous owner about a year ago, just before I purchased the boat. I wish he would've went the disc brake set-up, the cost would've been about the same.

But you can see where Trail-Rite has welded on spacers to solve the issue that your talking about. One has just some flat stock welded along the actuator mounting bolts, and the other trailer has just a short length of the next size larger square tube welded to the tongue extension. So why on earth would the previous owner of your rig evidently cut the tongue extension shorter? :cussing:

Hope the photos help,

Don

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Wow. Thanks for the pictures! They are so insightful. After removing the standard coupler I noticed the tongue had been cut because it was a terrible hack job and not straight at all. I'll take pics this weekend when I get back to the trailer. The pictures make total sense. Some people, I'll never understand...

Do you think welding the shim pieces on is necessary? I was thinking of just drilling out the hole distance and bolting them up that way.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I'm no engineer, but my thought is "probably", but there must have been a reason why Trail-Rite didn't choose to go that route also. :doh: Some guy with a drill would've been a lot cheaper and quicker than a guy welding. And they used the same design, and these trailers were manufactured 16 years apart, so if was cheaper and/or better, I'm sure they would've done it differently. Maybe there is something to do with the increased surface area for the bolts that avoids the possibility of shearing them?

Don

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Shaubby,

For what it's worth, the solution I described on my blog has worked flawlessly for me. That is, using spring shackles for spacers on the outside of the tube. If yours is thick wall tubing like my old TrailRite trailer instead of thin wall tube, you can skip the 1/2" pipe inside spacers. Pretty easy to set up.

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Good to know. The tongue is the thick wall. I ordered the shackles today along with a brake line connection. I'm hopeful this will solve the issue. Thanks for posting the info.

Do you recall what quick disconnect you used?

Nov 16, 2020
Catalina 22 MKII Dana Point
I Just finished fabricating this (attached video) My new actuator has a plastic master cylinder and I was concerned (stressed) the quick connect coupling would get damaged. It's a stainless steel door hinge and a motor guard from an old machine.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO, Bonedaddy. It is good to have you join us.

Just so you are aware, you just posted to a thread that hasn't seen action for over 5 years. I wouldn't want your cool idea to go to waste, so I'd like to suggest you start a new thread with a copy your post. I think lots of people would be interested in it. Then, you can get rid of this post. Just thinking it would be better.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
It helps to cap-off the thread though - good post by Bonedaddy, and anyone searching will see all the related info come up together. I've learned a lot from old threads like this, and some of them have posts spanning years. I appreciate all the contributions going into them-