Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Poppop

I own a '77 Venture 21 that has been mooored each sailing season. The trailer I got with the boat has bit the dust. Can I get a used trailer made for the 21 or is there another trailer that would safely trailer the boat?

C

ClownPilot

Chances are ...

You'd have a better chance at finding a diamond ring in a cracker jax box. Trailers are common, but the way they are set up aren't. That is the way the trailer actually supports the boat that is setting on it. Those carpeted planks that are spaced and supported on the trailer *otherwise known as bunks* are just one of the main concerns. The bow roller(s) and keel support are another. The thing is, finding the trailer that suits you and your boat and that requires the less modifications to make it work is the better buy. For your size boat, trailers ranging from 5oo used to 1200 new may be where you are looking at. Construction materials are a big thing too. Galvanized, Aluminum, Steel are the types and prices can be determined on this as well. Needless to point out here which is premium. A trailer made from Steel can be far cheaper than the same trailer made of Galvanized or ALuminum. Tom

P

PrivateerTradin

Repair?

You said that your trailer has "bit the dust", but how bad is it really? Could it be repaired? You might take it to a small welding shop, and ask them what it would cost to repair it...Or even build a new one just like it. You might be surprised at the answer. (Then again, you might not...) But it's worth a shot. Then you don't have the problem of finding and or modifying one to work (which has a bit of value on it's own). Skip

Aug 24, 2006
- - Berkeley Springs,WV
I just modified one to fit my 25

I did not have a trailer when I got my boat(1978 V25). It was in a slip and rent free so I had no need. I found a trailer later that looked and measured like an original, and is damn close. But not. On the first move out of the water it sat way too far back. Tongue light by 200 plus pounds. It only contacted the boat at the bunks and two points along the bottom of the hull. Bad to say the least, but I only had to go 10 miles on mostly level roads. I have since modified the trailer while under the boat, 16 hrs worth of work. I actually cut the tongue out and rewelded it 24 inches farther forward and put in some new cross members. Resupporting and sliding the boat forward was fun. Now it seems to work just fine and I plan to move it from the yard where it is currently stored to my home, 150 miles away. I am a blacksmith welder BTW, so such mods and repairs don't scare me at all.

M

Malcolm & Darlene

I found a used bass boat trailer in a boat recycle yard,for $500.00 and made that work very easy,,and it's tadum too,with a 4500 lb rating,,it rides very well... Budget boats in Chesapeake,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.