Trailer Weight

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have a Load Rite, 2005, 171000SL trailer for my 170. I think this was the standard OEM trailer at the time.

Does anyone know the trailer's weight or trailer + 170's weight? I can calculate from the gross if needed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Hunter 170 displacement is 478 lbs SailboatData.com - HUNTER 170 Sailboat and trailer weight could be 500 - 1000 lbs depending on its construction (aluminum vs .galvanized steel, single vs.tandem axle, installed spare tire, etc.). Suggest contacting Load Rite Boat Trailers | Load Rite Trailers to confirm its curb weight. Also suggest weighing both at a certified CAT scale or local trucking company scale for ~$10 which is what I recently did to confirm the loaded weight of my camping trailer.

Last edited:

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 displacement .....
Thanks. One would think this is common information. LoadRite says to call a dealer. The dealer didn't know but was very helpful. Hunter doesn't list a towing weight on the archived brochure. I come up empty everywhere I look. Tomorrow I will sling the boat in my garage. Then I can check the trailer by hand. If it isn't too heavy, I'll get the bathroom scales. I'm guessing about 500 pounds.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
DArcy, I saw that one too. I have wheels/tires backordered from them. I am double checking the Load Range while I wait. Thanks.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm curious about the trailer weight, let us know what you find

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
This might help you.
Thanks. I have seen that listing too. For some reason there is never a spec for the trailer weight. This may be one of those legal things where if you don't say you can't be sued for it.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
If you have the VIN it looks like you should be able to ask for a duplicate vin sticker from either load rite or a dealer which should have the information you need on it. (Gvwr, gawr, carrying capacity etc which should then allow you to calculate the trailer weight.) I had to request one from magic tilt for our 260 trailer as the original had completely disintegrated.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
If you have the VIN ...
The VIN sticker is readable with GVWR and GAWR. There is no trailer/tare or capacity weight listed. I'm guessing this is deliberately vague so the consumer is forced to do the math. That way should something happen there may be wiggle room in litigation. I have a request submitted with LoadRite but I don't expect a reply. New brochures from Hunter list the towing weight but didn't for mine. I'll have the boat off the trailer soon and weigh it. Thanks.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
For all those waiting: I measured three points on the trailer. At one wheel it measured about 80#. The other was about 90#. At the tongue it was 107#. Lifting one wheel shifts weight to the other and I did not compensate for that. I am satisfied to accept 300#. Load Range B tires will be just fine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think bathroom scales will work one wheel at a time. Maybe today. Thanks.
Don't forget the tongue weight and you only have to weigh one wheel and multiply by 2. Make sure the scale you use has the capacity to measure the weight and it does not top out.