trailer tounge weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Herb

Hi there I would like to add about 150 pounds to the tounge of my trailer for a catalina 22. I know I need to move the axel but can't remember if it is forward or backward. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Herb

D

Dan McGuire

Move it Back

Move the axle back. You can calculate approximately how far to move it. Measure the distance from the axle to the hitch. I assume you know the approximate weight of the trailer. The new weight on the wheels is equal to the old weight minus the weight to be added to the hitch. Multiply the distance from the hitch to the axle by the old weight on the axle divided by the new weight on the axle. For example if the distance is now 13 feet and the weight on the axle is 2000 pounds with no weight on the hitch. Then the new distance is equal to 13 times 2000 divided by 1850 (2000 minus 150) or 14 feet. Move the axle back one foot.

H

Herb

thanks Dan

your help is much appreciated. I was only hoping to know which way to go but now i should be able to hit tounge weight pretty close and not have to take a shot in the dark. thanks Again Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.