Trailer Sailor to the Channel Islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Mason

Has anybody taken a Hunter 26 or 260 (or similar boat) to the Channel Islands near Los Angeles, CA? Can the H260 handle the sail from the Los Angeles area to the Channel Islands (or similar islands)? How would you rate the 26 or 260 as a boat able to handle some "open sea" areas? I am very interested in your experiences or ideas. Tim Mason

T

tom b cat22

i personally haven't, but

i've heard of a few and seen pictures of people sailing out there with my size boat, which is a catalina 22.

T

Tony Kriz

Should Be Fine

A Hunter 260 should be fine in normal conditions. I've been out to the Channel Islands on my '83 Hunter 25 and it handles the "normal" conditions as well as any 30' boat. I see a lot of water ballast boats in the 26' range making the trip most every weekend. Good luck.

L

Lynn Larremore

Channel Islands

Well, there was this Vietnamese guy- - -! TWICE! Really, now. I haven't had the opportunity but, on the Catalina 22 net, there has been substantial discussion about this trip. There wasn't a lot of concern about its difficulty but it seems that you oughta pick your days, and it's best as a long weekender (one day out, one day back, etc.) not a one-day trip. Cruising World had a very good article on the Channel Is about two/three years ago that made me want to haul my boat out to SC. The people circled all the islands, anchoring out 4-5 nights. Not a lot of good anchorages or places to go ashore but it was quiet, which for SC is a rarity!

T

Tim Mason

What about Catalina?

What about sailing a H260, or a similar boat to Catalina? I am very interested in how the trailerable H260 or H26 or any similarly equiped boat can handle some "ocean" sailing.

D

Dave

Catalina

You fail to mention the outstanding scuba diving provided in this location!! Fish are bountiful and the water is clean with good visibility. My last trip many people were diving from shore! I'm sure snorkelling would be just as good as they have glass bottom boat rides and so forth. I went over on the hydrafoil ferry boat as I was on a business trip with an extra day to see something. I see no problem with a 22 to 25 foot boat making this trip!! About the same as going to block island from mystic. Dave

B

Bernard Brooks

Channel Islands cruise

You might want to read this account of a MacGregor 26's 9 day cruise to the islands: http://www.macgregor-boats.com/cruise/cruise1.html

T

tom b. c-22

go down to the marina someday,,

and look at whats docked out there, then go watch and see what comes out of the harbor.. its a relaxing way to spend the day and fun to watch whats going out to sea in your size boat and even smaller..

H

Harvey Small

Get the book!

Cruising guide to the Channel Islands by Fagin or Fagen. It gets updated occasionally, so buy the current edition. It will give you more detail and cautionary information. There's a good launch ramp at Ventura Harbor, and you can check with the National Park people about the current regulations on anchoring and landing. As for Catalina, few things tase as good as the steaks at the restaurant at the Isthmus after sailing over on your own hull!

T

Tim Mason

How about the H260 on the ocean?

Thank you so much for the comments! I really enjoyed the website about cruising the Channel Islands in a Cat 25 and the book looks like a "must read," but what about the H260 or H26 as a boat capable of handling the "rougher" conditions one might encounter on such a sail? How does a water ballast boat handle the conditions in those waters? In order to anchor out, is the standard anchor good enough for the job, or are there special considerations to be taken? Even though the H260 is considered an "inland water" boat, I have a dream of purchasing one someday and taking it to various ocean destinations.

T

tomD

it's about the weather

No personal experience with this part of the world, but generally: Recently Bill Teplow took a Potter 19 from SF to Hawaii. He hit a good weather window, but it was NOT by accident, he studied the matter and chose a window that his P-19 could handle--this is a Risk Management issue really. RE anchor needs, I bet there is a favorite type of anchor used out there, be it a fluke or plow type: advise you go one size too big and rode to handle 7:1 scope. I hope you do this.

B

Bob

Tim, the H260 strikes me

as a REAL tender boat. As long as you don't get a lot of wind it might be OK, but I'd hate to be offshore in one if the wind came up. I race against one, and on two days last month when the wind was 15 - 20 we saw more of its bottom than we did of its topsides. One of its crew was bruised up some from the sudden rounding up and extreme rolling.

T

tomD

some numbers

the H260 has a Dsp/LWL of 178, a SA/D of 17.5, and a capsize ratio of 2.1. The Catalina 25, which is a common coastal boat, has a Dsp/LWL of 172, a SA/D of 16.8, and a capsize ratio of 1.99, for sake of comparison. If you are unfamiliar with these numbers, generally speaking, the Catalina 25 is slightly slower but quite similar to the H260. Both are coastal boats (not bluewater) by the numbers. If you are seeking bluewater performance in a little boat, look at the Ranger 26. Ballast boats have an oily roll to them compared to the stiffness of having the ballast concentrated in a keel but they work fine, just a different feel. Highly heeled boats, especially entry level ones, are often an indication of bad sail trim.

T

Tim Mason

Thank you!

Thank you so much for you input. My first boat will probably be the H26 or H260, and I look forward to sailing in many locations. Preparation, caution and patience seem to be the key to a safe and wonderful adventure. I really enjoyed reading about the places people have gone in their trailer sailor, the people they ment, and the adventures they had. What other great places would people recommend for their trailer sailor? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.