*! Trailer Sailing....The way to Go????? *!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2007
- - Barnegat Bay
Hi there....I am a trailer sailor and love it. Having owned several sailboats of various sizes to 32" I consider trailer sailing to be the least stressfully of activities in boating. Slip fees are becoming more each season and availability is an issue as marinas are sold to developers and condos replace parking lots. Insurance costs escalate and coverage in many areas of the country cannot be had at any cost. I believe that the economics of boating will cap the industry at a set level and cause a decrease of value in large boats as we have seen in housing. The market for large power boats is already in a tailspin and larger sailboats cannot be far behind. A boat without a slip is ......... What all this means is that trailer-sailors are not relegated to the position of being at the edges of the market as we have been in the past. Manufacturers are beginning to notice the market shift and developing water ballast boats that provide size and comfort. Trailers are reflecting improvements in design and ease of use, rollers, brakes, supports. The power boater has known this for years that trailers are the key to enjoyable boating. I see marinas changing to provide decent ramps and parking areas for trailer sailors. many marinas provide park and launch rates that are very reasonable. Ramps in the south and lakes in Penn. are lovely. This forum can be a major voice for those of us involved in this growing aspect of boating. Topics such as trailers, tires, bearings, tow vehicles. etc. etc. I invite sailors to contribute information of topics so we can share and learn from each other.....this is and opportunity to show how many of us are involved in this growing area of boating and maybe help influence states and marinas to take trailer sailors seriously. I hope you begin to join discussions on this list and we can get a dialog going.....

G

George

Trailer Sailors

If you browse the archives you'll find hundreds of threads by forum members on the benefits of trailer sailing. Just about everything I've learned about trailer sailing came from this forum.

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
i'll join in my santana 27 sits happily

on a trailer when I'm not sailing i redesigned and and custom built the trailer i got to fit my boat and it tows quite well. being that I'm a lake sailor by demographics its a must and i'm happy to meet someone who shares the same :D

P

patrick

sailors/trailer

ok, i love trailer sailing. But you have to admit, rigging and launching, and then after a long day in the water, derigging and stepping and retieving is a pain in the uknowwhat. I do it and it is because of the issues you mention. But i prefer to bottom paint and keep it in the water for a while. What is the biggest true trailerable boat on the market? Is it blue water capable. I want a bigger boat! Right now i have a mac 26d, and an oday 25.

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
mast that raises like a car power antenna

what is needed is a mast that raises and lowers like a car's power antenna. maybe they have one, but i have never come across one. beter systems like this would greatly ease the problem of trailering a sailboat.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
How about this

Forestay goes to a power winch in the bow (with some sort of mechanism for locking when mast is up, along with specially designed A frame that lets us move the mast base forward FIRST -I need to get drawing.

F

Fred

I agree with everything said so far on this thread

To answer the question asked earlier "what is the biggest trailer sailor?" The Hunter 26/260 is one of the biggest. I have heard of a Catalina 27 wing keel, but I've never seen one. The Mega 30 is an interesting trailer boat. Fast, real ballast keel that retracts, and they are very seaworthy. They go for around $6000 US if you can find one. I have had sailboats up to 40 footers, and, like others here, moorage and cost, plus ease of handling a smaller boat are my reasons to own a trailer boat. The Hunter is pretty seaworthy, but I wouldn't try to sail to Hawaii on one. I would cross the Strait of Georgia or Strait of Juan De Fuca on a good day. Not in a December gale. The H26 is easier to tow than I expected. Up to 90 km/hr (55 MPH) it's very stable. Above that it sways a bit with my relatively light tow vehicle. I towed it once with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pick up and it was fine at 65 mph. If I were building a trailer boat the size of an H26 (I am a boat builder) it would be lighter in the hull and deck, with foam core glass construction, so it could have a 500 lb lead bulb on the bottom of a swing or retractable 5 foot deep keel. This could be the size of the H26 inside and out, and be as light or lighter than the H26 WITHOUT the water ballast (around 3000 lbs). The lead bulb 5 feet down would be more righting moment than 2000 lbs of water at the water line. A lighter boat would mean either a smaller rig or a faster boat with the same sail area.

Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
I don't know if this qualifies or not

Just saw a Hobie 33 Monohull racer for sale on the local craigslist. 33' long with an 8' beam! In the pictures, it sits very low on the trailer. I have an Oday 222 and couldn't imagine towing around another 11' of boat. Or storing it for that matter.

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
Hake has a 30 footer...

It's a nice boat, and is trailerable. Unfortunately, it's too large to trailer on a regular basis. It tops out at 10,000 pounds. It is really meant to be taken to where you want to sail, then keep it in the water. Look up the Seaward 26 and 30.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
One problem with trailerable is

if your home owners association allows you to park in the driveway. Then you are back to where are you going to keep the love of you life! Around northern Virginia finding a place to park anything is worst than finding a marina. Jim S/V Java

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Trailer sailing

I had mentioned that I belong to a small yacht club. I guess that I should consider myself very fortunate because this club is only about 20 minutes from my house and is not too far from my favorite bays in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. We have about 42 members, a decent club house, a great ramp, and about 125 feet of dock, and 29 moorings. We also have a large ice machine inside the club, free to all the members. Moorings are $125.00 a year and the membership is about $325.00 a year. If you're a working member, it's $275.00. One of their requirements is that the members have liability insurance for their vessel. In our state, most Home owner's insurance policies offer a liability rider for sailboats up to 26 foot with an engine no greater than 50 Hp, for no extra cost. This alone makes me happy that I have a sailboat. So what I'm implying is; if you're not up to mast raising/lowering every week, it may pay to find a small club such as this one. As far as the largest trailer sailer goes; My friend Walter bought a 2002 Mac 26 last year and brought it down to the club and stuck it in the water this year. I never cared much for MacGregors, but I was very impressed with how this boat sailed. Her wheel steering was bearable for a guy who prefers a tiller, and that big Honda 50 has the power to make that boat really move out with her water ballast tank empty. Her cabin is very spacious, even with an enclosed head. The MacGregor people have some great ideas. She's light enough to trailer with a regular two wheel drive pick-up, with an eight cylinder 4.8 liter engine.

Mar 31, 2006
Hunter H-26 Hayden Lake, ID
12V Winch Hookup Photos

Kelli & Michael - with slip fee at $1400 this season and who knows what next year really need to see the photos of your anchor locker 12V winch set up and a good side photo of how you connect the roller furler in the bow. Look like great ideas - please share soon. Thanks, Mike T. (1995 - H26)

D

Dick

Johnson folding closure ?

I wanted to add one, but when I contacted Johnson it seemed like I was going to have to Shorten my forestay even more to fit it in. That would mean buying a new headsail because my luff would be too long. How long is your "closure" in the closed position, center of pin to pin? Do you have the part number?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Johnson Folding Closure

Dick, Would it be possible to have the folding closure on your back stay? One easy way to find out would be to loosen your back stay and see if you have enough slack to remove the pin on your fore stay. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about your Jib. I have my Handy-lock on my back stay plus a turnbuckle above that, and I'm able to get my fore stay off, even with the CDI Furler. Joe

Aug 20, 2007
Hunter 240 Geneva, New York
Trailer Sailor

Ahoy! I am a new trailer sailor....5 weeks! I hauled my Hunter 240 to the yacht club and have her set up on a mooring. I'll pull her off the water long about 31 Oct. I am a bit concerned about getting her up on the trailer as Seneca lake is rather low this year. (I had her stuck on a sand bar while launchung this past summer). Anyway, for me the yacht club was the way to go. Membership was less than $250.00 and the mooring fee at $175.00. The "Anitabreak II" is rigged and ready to go anytime I feel like heading out. I'll haul her home and ready for winter, and tuck her in 'till spring. Anita

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
i raise mine from the cocpit ??

i have a crutch mounted on the front of the trailer that extends about 10' and i run the rear stay over the boom that is cross tied to the chain plates then i can use the main sheet and a winch to raise the 32' mast all by myself if i have to the only other option is a crane to pick and step it for me ps i like the car antenna idea go with it. i saw an inflatable sailboat once

D

Danny

Theres already a boat...

"If I were building a trailer boat the size of an H26 (I am a boat builder) it would be lighter in the hull and deck, with foam core glass construction, so it could have a 500 lb lead bulb on the bottom of a swing or retractable 5 foot deep keel. This could be the size of the H26 inside and out, and be as light or lighter than the H26 WITHOUT the water ballast (around 3000 lbs). The lead bulb 5 feet down would be more righting moment than 2000 lbs of water at the water line. A lighter boat would mean either a smaller rig or a faster boat with the same sail area." Fred it sounds like you just decribed the Seaward 26RK...

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
The Real Problem is the Mast!

The real problem with trailer sailing is the mast - it is the reason that my boat lives in mast up storage at a local lake. If I were a boat designer doing a trailerable, I'd look for ways to make raising the mast easy. Perhaps a sliding Gunter rig, allows a shorter mast, and if the Gunter is counterweighted, maybe it is easy to raise as well. Or, even a gaff rig would allow a shorter mast. Or, maybe (wild idea) an inflatable wing sail - raise it with a compressor running off the boat's electrics. Then again, as long as there is a big supply of cheap used plastic boats - paying $50k+ for a new one big enough for my family of 5 does not seem like much fun. Just thoughts, OC

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
A novel approach

Old cat, Easily stepping the mast is the biggest challenge among others. After your lightweight mast concept I had to stop and wonder about doing the rig a completely different way. Inflatable batten pockets and a lightweight flexible spar is nothing new to sailing, the latest concepts just haven't been applied to trailerable designs.....yet. I would live for the day that a head turning concept is applied making the general public interested in trailer boats once again like the boom of the 60's-70's when fiberglass boats came on the scene. Thinking outside the box is a gift only available to open minds. Very interesting forward thinking. Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.